chapter twentyseven

Everyone sat around in a circle as Lo'ak explained what happened the day before. Beatrice couldnt stop sending glares in Aonungs direction, him refusing to meet her eyes. Beatrice sat between Lo'ak and Neteyam, directly across from Kiri who sat between a standing Aonung and sitting Roxto. Tsireya had made herself comfortable sitting between Tuk and Lo'ak as well.

"I wish i had been there. The ocean has blessed you with a gift, brother." Kiri spoke softly, awe evident in her voice as Lo'ak spoke about the tulkun. Beatrice intertwined her tail with Neteyams, the man sending her a smile.

"The tulkun have not returned yet." Aonung spoke up, Neteyam and Beatrice immediately rolling their eyes at his voice. "And anyway, no tulkun is ever alone." Aonung leaned forward as he continued, placing his arm on his knee. Neteyam leaned his head forward and scratched his forehead, trying to hide how annoyed he was that Aonung was there. Beatrice chewed on her lip to stop from laughing at her future mate.

"This one was. He had a missing fin. Like a stump, on the left side." Lo'ak ignored Aonung, speaking towards Tsireya hoping she would believe him.

"Poor tulkun!" Kiri chimed in, her voice laced with sadness. Beatrice saw how Tsireyas face suddenly became nervous from Lo'aks description, her eyebrows scrunching together.

"Payakan." Tsireya said worriedly, looking towards her older brother.

"Who is Payakan?" Kiri asked softly, worry lining her face as well.

"A young bull who went rogue. He is an outcast. Alone. And they say he has a missing fin!" Roxto explained, looking over at Lo'ak.

"They say he is a killer." Tsireya spoke softly, grabbing Lo'aks arm gently. Lo'ak looked over at Beatrice, confusion laced over his face as he mirrored Beatrices. The two were incredibly confused, Payakan being incredibly kind to them the night before.

"No. No." Lo'ak refused, turning back to Tsireya.

"He killed Na'vi and other tulkun." Aonung explained, seemingly like he was actually a little worried. Neteyam sighed at Aonung chiming in again, staring at him angrily. "Not here, farther south."

"No, no! He is not a killer." Lo'ak stressed, his hand coming to cover Tsireyas that was on his arm.

"Lo'ak, you are lucky to be alive." Tsireya said softly, looking over Lo'aks face carefully.

"I am telling you guys, he saved my life!" Lo'ak stressed again, looking around at the group. Once his eyes met Beatrices she nodded slightly, letting him know she believed him. "He is my friend."

"My baby bro!" Neteyam spoke up, causing Beatrice to grab his tail as he stood up. He placed his hands on Lo'aks shoulders, causing the younger brother to roll his eyes. "The mighty warrior who faced the killer tulkun, and lived to tell about it, huh?" Beatrice tugged on his tail once again, annoyed.

"Sit down." She snapped at Neteyam, causing him to sit at her tone as Lo'ak let out a soft hiss and growl.

"You guys are not listening." Lo'ak spoke, standing and starting to walk away. Beatrice stood as everyone chimed in for Lo'ak to stay, snapping at Neteyam before following after Lo'ak.

"Bubba, hold on one second." Hearing Beatrices voice, Lo'ak stopped and turned, looking defeated. She took his hands gently, giving them a gentle squeeze. "Say hi to Payakan for me, okay? Just be careful, and trust your heart." Beatrice spoke softly, a smile growing on Lo'aks face as he nodded enthusiastically. Beatrice let go of his hands, shooing him off before turning back to the group, making her way back over. Once she had them in her sights, she let out a whistle, Neteyams head shooting up and searching for her.