chapter twentyeight

A few weeks after Kiris seizure, Beatrice still had a gut feeling that something was wrong. She stayed silent though, not wanting to disrupt the happiness in the family. Kiri was a lot better, but extremely depressed, her siblings and Beatrice doing everything they could to make her happy. That led to a lot of family time together, which always brightened everyones mood. Beatrices birthday was just two days away, Neteyam unable to hide his excitement for it. Beatrice kept forgetting about it due to her nervousness, but able to blame her forgetfulness on being worried about Kiri.

That morning as the family cleaned up the pod after breakfast, a loud horn rang out. Beatrice immediately froze, the anxiety making her want to throw up immediately. She watched as Tuk ran out to the entrance of the pod, letting out an excited scream. Beatrice immediately rushed forward, a sigh of relief leaving her lips as she saw tulkun jumping over the barrier, finally coming to say hi to their family. She smiled as the Metkayina all jumped into the water, going out to meet their brothers and sisters. Beatrice turned to the excited Tuk as Lo'ak and Neteyam came to the entrance of the pod, watching with excitement.

"Tuk, go get Kiri! This will make her so happy." Beatrice shooed Tuk away, Neteyam grabbing Beatrices hand and pulling her to the water. The two let out calls for ilu, jumping in and hopping on as they swam with the Metkayina to watch the tulkun. Beatrice smiled wide as she saw Lo'ak on the back of Tsireyas ilu, nodding her head in their direction to get Neteyam to look. The both shook their heads, smiling as they looked back at each other. Neteyam chased after Beatrice, the two twisting and twirling until Beatrice came to where some of the young tulkun were playing. She broke the surface, her head turning to Neteyam and pointing excitedly.

"Look, there are babies!" Beatrice exclaimed excitedly, wagging her finger in their direction. She immediately dived back in the water, swimming towards the pups and sliding off of her ilu. She immediately started playing with the babies, the biggest grin Neteyam has seen on her face. He stayed back and watched her, his eyes twinkling with love.

Beatrices head turned as a grown female tulkun swam towards her, Beatrice smiling nervously to her. She brought her hand down her nose, hoping the lessons with Tsireya on tulkun language would be allow her to be able to understand the tulkun. Beatrice listened as she wailed, a blush rising on her cheeks.

I see you have found the babies! Is one of them your spirit sisters?

Beatrice shook her head, signing back to the mother that she just loved babies. The tulkun clicked to her, causing Beatrice to smile and look at Neteyam before responding.

Do you have a mate, sister? I can sense a child in your future.

Beatrice quickly signed that she didnt expect their to be any children soon, but that her future mate was Neteyam. Beatrice turned as she found Ronal swimming towards her and the tulkun, Beatrices hand coming down her nose as a hello.

I see you have found my spirit sister, Beatrice. Ronal signed to her, causing another wide smile to grow on her lips. The three conversed for a short time before Beatrice left the sisters to each other, swimming up to Neteyam at the surface.

"I wish i had a spirit sister." Beatrice spoke softly, climbing onto the back of the ilu Neteyam was on and laying her cheek on his back. Neteyams hand immediately grabbed onto her thigh, the two swimming around slowly to admire the families.

"You may have one, one day my love. Do not give up hope." He spoke gently to her, rubbing his thumb against her skin. She smiled to herself, kissing his shoulder blade gently.

The two dived back under the water, watching the tulkun dance with their brothers and sisters happily. They swam around, joining in a few times, the tulkun dancing with them as they twirled around in the water. The couple swam past Kiri, Tuk, and Roxto playing with his spirit brother, Beatrice remembering how often Roxto came to check up on Kiri. Her and Neteyam spoke about it a few times, both having strong feelings that there was a crush developing on Roxtos end.