chapter sixteen

Beatrice sat in front of Neteyam on his ikran, holding tightly on his arm that held her. Despite being far from danger, tears still slipped from her eyes as the realization that she killed someone set in. She felt Neteyams lips on her neck, causing the images to slip from her mind as she inhaled deeply, leaning her back against his chest. She squeezed his arm softly, remembering seeing his arrow kill an avatar, lifting his hand and kissing his palm softly.

As they landed at home, Neteyam helped Beatrice down, tightly holding her hand and intertwining their tails as he lead her to Mo'at. She held her free hand out for any of his siblings, fear building in her chest from being away from them. Beatrice gave a soft smile as Kiri immediately took her hand, Tuk in Kiris other, while Neteyam held his hand out for his brother. Lo'ak took it, not making any complaints, staying close to his older brother with his eyes glued onto the floor. Mo'at met them outside of her tent, her hand over her heart as she took in her grandkids appearances. She quickly rushed them in, sitting Beatrice down before starting to work on a balm for the cut on her chest and slices into her neck. Beatrice looked over the siblings, her heart lifting when she saw none of them injured.

Beatrice looked up as Mo'at sat in front of her, giving her a gentle smile. Beatrice watched as Mo'at brought her hand down her nose, never breaking eye contact with her. More tears formed in Beatrices eyes, slipping past as she sniffled before feeling the siblings cuddle with her closely. She tried to stay as still as possible as Mo'at applied the remedy, fighting her flinches from the stinging pain. She kept her head up so Mo'at could access the slices on her neck, it becoming more and more painful to swallow. Beatrices ears twitched as she heard someone else come into the tent, unable to turn her head in their direction. She felt the person sit behind her, and relaxed when she felt Neytiris hands on her shoulders. Her eyes closed slowly as she felt Neytiris hands move to her hair, everyone staying silent as the older Na'vi started to section Beatrices hair, beginning the braiding process. Neytiri began to hum softly, the sound comforting Beatrice immensely.

The young girl almost didnt notice the additional hands working on her hair, opening her eyes slowly and seeing Neteyam and Lo'ak joining their mother in the braiding process. The boys gave her soft smiles, a returning one growing on Beatrices face. Tuk climbed into Beatrices lap, making sure to stay out of her grandmothers way as she continued to work. Beatrice played with Tuks hair lightly, her free hand still holding onto Kiris tightly.

Even after Mo'at had finished tending to Beatrices injuries, the family stayed seated, working diligently on Beatrices hair. Neytiri didnt complain as Beatrices head came to rest on Neteyams chest, dozing off as the feeling of her hair being messed with made her sleepy. Neytiri was still able to style Beatrices hair nicely, loose strands of unbraided hair framing the girls face, along with others placed strategically throughout her hair. Once Neytiri had finished, she quietly stood and found Tuk also asleep, snoring softly on Beatrices lap. She gently picked up Tuk, Lo'ak and Kiri getting up quietly as well, the four exiting the tent with Mo'at. Neteyam gently stroked Beatrices face, holding her close to his chest.

Neteyam stared down at the girl, sighing deeply as images from the fight kept popping into his mind, causing his heart to race once again. He tried to push away the fear, failing as he tightened his arms around the girl. Neteyam could feel the tears burning his eyes as he remembered screaming for Beatrice, watching her fight against the avatar, fear evident on her face. At that moment he had his bow drawn, looking for a shot he could take without hurting his love, tears free falling from his eyes as he kept shouting out her name. He watched as she had ripped the neck from the avatar, his heart racing as he bolted forward, beating himself over and over as he blamed himself for her trauma.

Neteyam shook the thoughts from his mind, forcing himself to focus on the moment that was happening now. He laid a gentle kiss on Beatrices forehead, gently leaning down and picking her up bridal style, smiling softly as Beatrice buried her face into his chest while he slowly carried her out of his grandmothers tent. He followed after his family, entering their family tent last and making his way to where everyone slept. The Sully kids slept unconventionally, all usually ending up sleeping on each others limbs on the floor instead of in their own hammocks. Neteyam sat in the middle of where the kids usually pile, laying on his back and staying still as Beatrice adjusted, cuddling up to his side as she continued to sleep. The younger kids immediately joined them; Tuk immediately finding Neteyams free side with Kiri right behind her while Lo'ak climbed onto his siblings legs, his head resting on Beatrices calves as he looked up at his older brother. The group of kids stayed silent, just soaking in laying with each other before each kid slowly fell asleep; Tuk being the first and Lo'ak being last.