chapter nine

The next morning, Neteyam made his way back to Beatrices door, hoping that the door would be unlocked this time. As he walked up to it, he gently grasped the handle and turned it, stopping short when he realized it was still locked. He inwardly sighed, knocking softly.

"Bea?" He asked gently, his heart racing as he hoped for a response. Beatrice laid in her bed, staring at the wall, her head pounding. She stayed silent as Neteyam knocked again, calling out in Na'vi. She tried to ignore him and the pounding ringing through her ears, closing her eyes and covering her head with her blanket.

After about an hour, Neteyam groaned loudly, feeling angry at himself. He placed his hand on the door, wishing he could just see her. The Na'vi finally sighed, clenching his jaw before walking away. Beatrice listened to his footsteps walk away, slowly climbing out of her bed and making her way to the little cupboard with snacks in it. She grabbed a couple, stumbling back to the bed as her head throbbed, quickly stuffing the food down so she could take her medication. Once all that was said was done, she curled into a ball, grabbing onto her head tightly, begging Eywa to help her.

Neteyam stormed out of the lab, searching for his father. After running around, he finally caught him talking to a team of warriors.

"Sir, please let me go on a run." Neteyam asked, looking his father in his eyes. Jake scrunched his eyebrows as he looked down at his son, wondering where the sudden need to fight came from. After looking at Neteyams face, Jake decided it was best to wait to ask him what was wrong.

"You can come with me. Im scoping out where they are building a train." At Jakes words, Neteyam nodded, following after his father and calling for his ikran.

Kiri watched the interaction, worry building in her chest as she saw the angry look on Neteyams face. She made her way to her familys tent, hoping Beatrice would come looking for Neteyam soon.

After a couple hours, midday rising, Kiri quickly made her way to the lab, grabbing a mask and looking for Norm. Once she found Norm, she quickly rushed to him, taking a breath from her mask.

"Norm, Norm! Which room is Beatrices?" Norm gave her a confused look, giving her the instructions. Kiri rushed to the room, trying the door and scrunching her eyebrows when she found it locked. She knocked worriedly, continuing to try the handle.

"Beatrice?! Its Kiri, please let me in! Are you okay?!" Kiri called out, putting her ear to her door to listen for any sign of noise. She continued trying the door, getting more and more worried. After a few minutes, Kiri groaned loudly and ran back to find Norm again.

"Norm! Beatrice is not answering her door, i am worried!" Norms eyes widened a bit, running around the lab for an extra set of keys to the rooms. Once he found them, the two took off running to Beatrices room, Norm knocking and calling for the human. He cursed to himself when he got no response, fumbling with the keys until he found the correct one, quickly unlocking and opening the door. The two rushed into the room, Kiri stopping dead in her tracks as she saw Beatrice lying on the bed, motionless. Norm immediately started looking for vitals, breathing a sigh of relief when he felt her heartbeat. He picked Beatrice up, rushing out of the room and running back to the lab, laying her on a bed while calling for nurses. Kiri followed after him, staying by the wall as she watched the nurses and Norm work on the human, fear filling her heart. She took a breath from her mask deeply, her hand shakily coming to her neck, pressing down on the mic to reach her family.

"Neteyam?" Kiri asked, her voice cracking. She listened for Neteyams voice to respond to her, nausea hitting her as she realized she would have to tell Neteyam what was going on. "Neteyam, answer me!"

"Kiri? Are you okay?" Kiri heard her fathers voice come through, causing her heart to race. She ran out of the lab, taking gasping breaths of the Pandora air before placing her hand on the mic once more.