chapter fourteen

After a few days of Beatrice and Neteyam being inseparable, Neteyam teaching Beatrice as much as he could of Na'vi, how to shoot, and beginning to learn how to track, Jake had to pull Neteyam away for a war run. Beatrice was also impressed by Lo'ak being asked to join as well, messing with his braids excited for him. The three men left early that morning, Beatrice and Kiri weaving baskets outside of the tent as they chatted on. Kiri also helped with Beatrices Na'vi, making it so she understood it like English.

The two girls were interrupted by Spider joining them, causing Beatrice to wiggle her eyebrows at Kiri subtly. He asked if he could steal Kiri away, wanting her help in mixing paint for his stripes. Beatrice happily shooed them away, smiling to herself as she finished her basket. She got to work on a bracelet she had been planning to make herself to match her necklace, weaving the material together tightly. Her loose hair kept falling into her face, making her groan out in annoyance. She continued to weave the bracelet, adding in small beads she had been working on. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard Tuk yelling out that the war party had returned, making Beatrice look up and smile, shoving the half made bracelet into her pouch and running over to the ledge the ikrans would perch on. Her tail flicked around anxiously as she searched for Neteyam, Jakes loud voice catching her attention.

She followed after it, her heart sinking when she caught sight of Jake scorning his kids, Neteyam with scrapes all over his body. Beatrice rushed over, checking over Lo'ak and giving him a small peck on his head before rushing over to Neteyam, circling him as she inspected the scrapes. She listened as Jake yelled at them, frowning as she watched both of the boys ducking their heads. Kiri ran up to her, inspecting the cuts with her as Neteyam tried to take responsibility for the mistake.

"Yeah you do, thats right, because youre the older brother! You gotta act like it." Beatrice frowned at his words, trying to catch Neteyams eyes, but he wouldnt meet them.

"Ma'Jake, your son is actually wounded." Neytiri stepped in, Beatrice lowering her ears at how upset Neytiri looked at Jake.

"Mother, i-its fine." Neteyam stuttered out, his voice low. He finally looked at Beatrice, sadness filling his face. Beatrice looked back at Jake, a stern look on her face as Jake sighed heavily.

"Lets go, get patched up. Go on, dismissed." Jake said, waving his hand to get Neteyam moving. Beatrice followed after him, looking back sadly at Lo'ak to which Lo'ak only shook his head, giving her a tough smile. She turned her head back around to Neteyam, his tail finding hers and intertwining them as they walked to Mo'ats tent.

"Tey, what happened?" Neteyam sighed, reaching over and grabbing Beatrices hand tightly.

"Well, you know how we were supposed to stay in the air and keep watch?" He asked, only continuing after Beatrice nodded, "well, we went down to the ground. I tried to get Lo'ak to listen, but then a bogie came flying in and started shooting. We ran, but they sent something big and i just remember flying into the air." Neteyam explained, flattening his ears against his head. Beatrice slapped his arm, getting ready to launch into a yell, before realizing she slapped him on a cut and he was wincing now. She sighed, rubbing her thumb over the back of his hand, letting out a soft apology. He only shook his head, leaning over and kissing her on the forehead.

They walked into the tent, Kiri behind them and immediately joining in with her grandmother to mix herbs together. As Neteyam sat, Beatrice helped crush some of the herbs Kiri needed, placing them in her bowl as she mixed. She then sat next to Neteyam, watching as Mo'at took over and started working on the cuts. Tuk ran in, sitting in front of Neteyam and Beatrice, starting a conversation with her older brother. Beatrice watched as Lo'ak walked in, looking down, followed by Spider. Beatrice met Lo'aks eyes, silently asking if he was okay. He forced a smile on his face, nodding. Beatrice gave him a look, making him sigh and walk over to sit next to her.