Chapter 3

(Vale's Police Station)

Y/N is sitting in an interrogation room, right underneath a bright light in the otherwise dark room. Sitting at the opposite side of the table, is Glynda Goodwitch, who is looking at a tablet she has in her hand.

Glynda: "For someone who call himself a 'regular bystander,' you sure know how to fight well."

The tablet shows footage of Y/N fighting Roman's henchmen with Ruby. Y/N just chuckle embarrassingly.

Y/N: "Yeah, well... I had a mentor that taught me about self-defense."

Glynda: "I see."

There was a moment of silence before Y/N decide to break the silence by speaking up.

Y/N: "Um... how long have I been here? I thought the police were done questioning me."

The woman looks at her watch for a bit before responding to his question.

Glynda: "It's been over 30 minutes since then. We're merely waiting for Headmaster Ozpin to show up."

Y/N: "Ozpin?"

Right on cue, the door of the room open, revealing Ozpin, holding a mug and walking inside. Glynda hands him the tablet.

Ozpin: "Apology for the long wait. I had finished my discussion with Miss Rose."

He goes to sit down in front of Y/N as Glynda stands beside him.

Ozpin: "Hello, I'm-"

Y/N: "Ozpin, Headmaster of Beacon, right?"

The headmaster smiles at this.

Ozpin: "You're well-informed."

Y/N: "Y-Yeah, you can thank Qrow leaving his scroll open. I know he works for you."

Ozpin: "I see. I'll cut to the chase, then."

Y/N was a bit confused by his remark but, he continues anyway.

Ozpin: "I would like you to attend my academy. Like Ruby Rose, I see great potential within you and-"

The headmaster gets cut off again by Y/N.

Y/N: "I'm sorry, but I must decline your offer."

Glynda was surprised by the sudden refusal and Y/N bowing his head, while Ozpin pauses for a moment before asking.

Ozpin: "Do you have a reason?"

Leaning back from the bowing, Y/N's voice speaks calmly.

Y/N: "I feel like it would be better if I didn't attend an academy. I... I don't deserve this chance. Hell, I wouldn't fit in at all."

Glynda: "That's... that's a horrible thing to say to yourself."

Y/N: "W-Well, it's... kind of true."

Ozpin: "Is there other reasons that you have?"

As he said this, Y/N ponders for a bit before he answers.

Y/N: "I mean... there's nothing special about me. Besides, if I'm going to attend an academy, I'll do it fairly and not just be given to me."

Even though this might be his chance to start a new school life that his mentor, Qrow wanted for him. To just branch out and hang out with people his own age. But he just can't do it.

Y/N: ("Sorry, Qrow.") "Once again, I'm sorry. If we're done talking, I'll be heading out now."

He heads to the door of the interrogation room. Glynda looks back at Y/N with a mixture of concern and surprise at his responses. Ozpin, however, remains motionless before he takes out some files and looking back at Y/N.