Chapter 30

Back inside the Tuckson's bookstore, Yang sends a message to Ruby and Y/N.

Blake: "Yang what are you-"

Yang: "Don't worry. I only tell them that we're both safe. I didn't tell them where we are or anything beyond that." 

Blake thanks her for being discreet and Yang shrugs it off.

Yang: "Eh, it was the right thing to do."

Analyzing what Yang said before, Blake asks, motioning to her cat ears.

Blake: "Yang, you knew I had these? How?"

Yang answers frankly.

Yang: "I had my suspicions and noticed a number of things about you since we paired up. But I figure that you would tell us the truth whenever you felt the most comfortable. Guess I wasn't the only know about it, huh."

Blake was a bit surprised, realizing who she is talking about.

Blake: "Y/N... Yeah, he knows too. Despite knowing, he didn't tell you or the others."

Yang: "Yeah, he really does care about us."

Blake looks away, trying to hide the small blush on her face, but Yang already notices this, smirking. Yang finally gets to the heart of the matter.

Yang: "Blake... tell me about yourself."

Blake continues to look away before Yang clarifies.

Yang: "Of course, if you feel uncomfortable, then you don't have to tell me. Everyone's got their privacy."

Blake takes a deep breath before asking her blonde teammate.

Blake: "Yang... Are you familiar with the White Fang?"

Yang: "Well, I only heard rumors about them and then you have news reports calling them a terrorist organization. Why?"

Blake: "Because I was once a member of the White Fang."

Yang: "Really?"

Cautiously, Blake goes to elaborate. 

Blake: "That's right. I got involved with them when I was young. I could've lived a normal life, but I chose to leave it behind in pursuit of equal rights for Faunus. Things were different, back then. In the ashes of war, the White Fang was meant to be a symbol of peace and unity between humans and the Faunus."

Blake goes to lean against a wall before continuing.

Blake: "Of course, despite being promised equality, the Faunus were subjected to discrimination and hate. Humanity still thought of us as lesser beings. And so, the White Fang rose as a voice of our people. And I was there. I was at the front of every rally. I took part in every boycott. I thought we were making a difference. But I was just a youthful optimist... a blind idealist."

She shifts her eyes away, looking at the floor.

Blake: "Then, five years ago, our leader, someone I hold in high regard stepped down, and a new leader took his place. A new leader, with a new way of thinking. Suddenly, our peaceful protests were being replaced with organized attacks by lower-level protestors. Setting fire to shops that refused to serve Faunus, hijacking cargo from companies that used Faunus labor. I even heard rumors of them just letting these actions happen. And the worst part was, it was working. The difference between what's right and what's wrong become less clear. And we were being treated like equals. But not out of respect... out of fear."

As she said this, she stops leaning against the wall, now facing Yang.

Blake: "It made me question what I was doing and the ways I was trying to help the cause. It was... unnerving. And so... I left. I left because the group's corruption. But also, because I saw what it did to someone, I consider a friend. I decided I no longer wanted to use my skills to aid in their violence. So here I am: a former member in plain view, all with the help of a little black bow."