Chapter 22

Ever since Cardin found out about Jaune's secret, Jaune has been running ragged during classes, becoming tired and sluggish. In Oobleck's history class, Jaune tries his best to write down notes while doing Cardin's homework, despite his tiredness, while Cardin and his team watch him from behind their desk. Team RWBY (both Ruby and Weiss staying far away from each other) and most of JNPR are paying attention to Oobleck's lecture, Y/N and Pyrrha take notice of Jaune's sluggish behavior as they share a look with one another.

Oobleck: "Yes! Yes, prior to the Faunus Rights Revolution, more popularly known as the Faunus War. Humankind was quite adamant about centralizing Faunus population in Menagerie."

Y/N: ("What's in his mug to make him so quick? I thought Ruby was the speedy one.")

Oobleck points at the map of said area with his stick, then zooms off to the side for a sip of his coffee before appearing in front of the desk before continuing.

Oobleck: "While this must feel like ancient history to many of you, it is imperative to remember that these are relatively recent events! Why, the repercussions of the uprising can still be seen to this day! Now! Have any among you been subjugated or discriminated because of your Faunus heritage?"

Some of the students raise their hands. Velvet, after a moment of pause, does the same. Y/N look at Velvet and her sadden expression, knowing fully well who has picked on her thanks to Blake telling him.

Oobleck: "Dreadful, simply dreadful! Remember, students, it is precisely this kind of ignorance that breeds violence! I mean, I mean, I mean just look at what happened to the White Fang! Now, which one of you young scholars can tell me what many theorize to be the turning point in the third year of the War?"

The only person who raised their hand was Weiss.

Oobleck: "Yes?"

Weiss: "The battle at Fort Castle."

Oobleck: "Precisely! Now, Mr. Arc!"

Jaune: "H-Huh...?"

Oobleck: "Can you tell me the advantage the Faunus had over General Lagune's forces?"

Jaune: "Uh... its..."

His eyes drift away to Y/N and Pyrrha, who are motioning him with their hands at the right answer like pointing at their eyes, but it doesn't with Jaune's eyes barely being open.

Jaune: "B-binoculars...?" 

Pyrrha facepalms and most of the class start laughing with Cardin just snickering at his answer, mumbling to himself. 

Cardin: "Binoculars he said."

Y/N glare at Cardin for a bit before looking back at Jaune with concern. As for Oobleck, he looks unamused as he takes a sip from his mug.

Oobleck: "Hm, very funny, Mr. Arc."

Oobleck zooms over to Cardin's desk.

Oobleck: "Mr. Winchester! Perhaps you would care to share your thoughts on the subject!"

Cardin: "Well, I know it's a lot easier to train an animal than a soldier."

As he said this, he stares down at Velvet and then looks at Y/N, who is glaring at him. The teacher just shakes his head before Y/N speaks up.

Y/N: "If that's the case, then a trained animal would be better than some mace-wielding idiot that I know."

Cardin straighten himself to look back at Y/N, glaring at him from his remark.

Cardin: "What was that?"

Y/N: "Would you look at that? A mace-wielding idiot that also can't hear well. Perfect, I'm sure you'll do great as a trained fighter."