Chapter 27

(Beacon's Cafeteria)

A few days have passed since the field trip incident and the 2-days detention is over, the crew while at lunch, remark how JNPR has really started to show some improvement quite quickly. Though, things between Y/N and Ruby are still awkward for the most part. They also note that Cardin has been more aggressive lately and how he treats people around him. Even his own team, looking very messy and ragged, no doubt by Cardin's wrath and frustration.

Y/N: "Not only that, but Weiss has been eating at a different table alone for a while."

Yang: "I try asking her to join us, but she keeps refusing."

All eyes fall to Weiss, sitting and eating at a different table all by herself, unaware of their gazes. Especially Ruby, who is staring sadly at her. Seeing Ruby's expression, Blake rests a hand on Ruby's shoulder before commenting.

Blake: "Just give it up, Ruby. Weiss is not the kind of challenge that's worth it." 

Y/N: "Come on, Blake. We all know Weiss can be an entitled brat. But everyone deserves a second chance. Even to someone like her." 

This is when Yang chimes in. 

Yang: "Yeah. Maybe Ruby has a point and there's actually something redeeming about Weiss."

Blake: "Care to give an example?"

The blonde girl then goes quiet, trying to think of an example before awkwardly proclaiming. 

Yang: "I mean.... she's rich."

Both Y/N and Blake gives her a blank stare with Y/N saying.

Y/N: "Really? That's it?"

Yang; "Hey! Then, you think of an example." 

Y/N: "Well..."

Before he continues, Y/N is left with his thoughts, pondering for a moment.

Y/N: "Weiss... she's good at studying, I suppose."

Blake: "You suppose?"

Y/N: "Okay, she's study more than the average student." 

Blake: "Yeah, I don't think that's a redeeming quality."

Y/N: "But that's all I got!"

Yang just lightly chuckles at the whole exchange, mostly on Y/N's parts. Listening in their conversation, Ruby just rolls her eyes with a sigh. Their conversation is cut short when they see Cardin bullying Velvet on the other side of the room, this time far rougher and more viciously than before with Cardin full-on yanking on her rabbit ears, to the point that Velvet stumbles under his grip. Even Cardin's teammates don't partake in the bullying, choosing to just remain quiet. All Y/N can do is glare angrily at him only to see Blake finally reaches a breaking point and quickly turns to Jaune. 

Blake: "Jaune! Can't you use your leverage to help Velvet?"

Jaune regretfully replies.

Jaune: "Sorry, I-I can't. My mutual failure policy with Cardin is too fragile to exploit, especially so soon after it was developed. Besides, Velvet isn't technically one of my friends. If I keep including more people as my friends, Cardin will snap and get us both expelled."

Blake is infuriated by this and decides to stand up for Cardin herself. As she walks over to their direction, Blake gets Velvet out of Cardin's hands and guiding her to the safety of her friend group (Blake's, not Velvet's). Frustrated by her action, Cardin approaches their table as both Blake and Cardin get into a screaming match.