Chapter 9

Meanwhile, Jaune and Pyrrha run into Cardin and Russel, who are observing a cave, thinking it might lead them to the relics. This is when Jaune, followed by Pyrrha, approaches the pair as the blonde boy asks. 

Jaune: "What are you guys up to?"

Cardin look at Jaune before smirking and speaking to him.

Cardin: "We think the relics are in there. Russel and I were just thinking about splitting up until you guys show up. Why don't you go inside and see if the relics are there and tell us if it's the right place. One group to go in the cave and the other goes to protect it."

Jaune perks up a bit. 

Juane: "Ah, sure. No problem."

Doubtful over Cardin's suggestion, Pyrrha turns to Jaune and asks.

Pyrrha: "You sure Jaune?"

Jaune: "Come on, Pyrrha. It's just a cave. Plus, it might have the relics."

As he said this, Jaune head inside along with Pyrrha, who stare at Cardin before following Jaune. As the two disappear into the cave, Russel goes to ask Cardin, a bit concerned. 

Russel: "Uhm, what happens if they die?"

Cardin just shrugs.

Cardin: "Then we'll just move on."

And with that, Cardin and Russel waited for a long while only for Cardin to say nonchalantly. 

Cardin: "Well, let's move tow-"

His words die upon seeing Ren, Nora, and the white head King Taijitu, dragging its dead black head, bursting out of the woods with Ren and Nora still riding on their bear.

Cardin: "...?!"

Russel: "...!?"

And with that, both Cardin and Russel immediately begin running in fear. The four students and bear flee between the trees with the giant snake Grimm starts to gain on them, all while Nora is laughing, having the time of her life. The chase ends, however, when those same squirrel-chimpanzee creatures temporarily crossed the King Taijitu's path and force it to change directions from its prey as it gets attacked and distracted, giving Nora, Ren, Cardin, and Russel some breathing room to head to the nearby temple.

Back with Jaune and Pyrrha, they continue to head deeper into the cave with Juane holding a short torch.

Jaune: "Think this is it?"

Pyrrha: "I'm not sure this is it. I think we're going to be lost."

Jaune: "Pyrrha, I made the torch. Could you at least humor me for, like, five more feet?"

Suddenly and completely unexpectedly, Jaune trips on the ground, and the torch flies into a small puddle, extinguishing the flame so the two are cast in darkness with only their eyes visible.

Pyrrha: "You okay?"

Before he can answer, Jaune gets back on his feet.

Jaune: "Yeah... I guess so."

Pyrrha: "Hey... do you... feel that?"

Jaune: "Soul-crushing regret?"

Pyrrha: "No, it's... warm."

Jaune: "Warm?"

Jaune and Pyrrha continue onward through the cave until they see a large glowing point of gold right in front of them, illuminating Jaune's excited features.

Jaune: "That's the relic!"

He slowly reaches out to grab it but, it moves away from him.

Juane: "Hey! Bad relic! Bad!"