Chapter Three

The Chagatai Khanate couldn't stop thinking about the stranger. He had no power that could allow her to talk to him, and he couldn't use sign language.

The only way for them to talk would be to visit the Realm of the Dead personally. Perhaps her sister could help with that.

"Golden Horde, I want you to help me get back to the Realm of the Dead!" She announced one morning. GH stared at her.

"Do you remember what happened last time? It took you seven hours to get back! I was worried sick!" She scolded.

"Yeah, but I think I'll do better now," CK protested. "I'm not a kid anymore."

GH sighed, but relented. "Okay, I'll help. What do you remember feeling the last time you went there? What did you see, smell, taste and hear?"

"Well, I was taking a stroll at the beach near our house. I felt calm, and content. The sun was setting, and cast an amazing orange glow over the water. I was so focused on it, that I didn't realise I had walked off the edge of the cliff..." CK trailed off, embarrassed. She'd never told anyone before.

"Continue," GH said, raising an eyebrow.

"When I hit the ground, I didn't feel any pain. Just a strange sense of coolness. Um, I don't remember tasting or smelling anything. But I did hear the waves fade off into the distance, until there was nothing but silence," Chagatai Khanate finished.

"Interesting. Let's go back to the cliff then. Maybe tripping over it triggered something inside of you," GH said, getting out of her seat.

"Uh," CK paused, "you aren't going to push me off, are you?"

"Yeah, why?"

"What if it doesn't work? What if something else triggered my power?"

"Well," said GH, "then I'd be an only child."

In the end, CK managed to convince GH to find a country who would be willing to save her if anything went wrong. Of course, there weren't very many powerful countries left after the Gold War. But CK knew of one of the children who could control wind.

She knocked on his door, praying he would answer.

"Who are you?" Spain asked as the door opened. "Please don't tell me another one of my relatives died."

"I'm—" CK cut herself off. "What?"

"Sorry, two random countries knocked on my door one time and told me my father had died. It's not something I want to happen again," Spain sighed.

"Oh. Well, I am not here for that. I'm here because I need your assistance in helping make sure I don't die when trying to use my power. Apparently my sister says falling off of a cliff will help me activate it, but I'm not sure," CK said.

"Sure. I don't have any other plans," the man shrugged.

"Thank you very much," CK said, leading him to her house. It was a long walk, but they made it back before the sun reached the top of the sky. It was still before noon.

"Okay, let's go to the cliff! I am ninety percent sure this will work..." GH said when they arrived.

"I'm fifty percent sure. This sounds downright stupid," Spain admitted.

"I... are you sure this will work?" CK asked her sister.

"N...yes."

"Good to know," CK whispered, her face paling.

They reached the cliff, where CK hesitantly looked over the edge. The wind brushed her skin, and the water endlessly pounded the beach with powerful waves. Jagged rocks dotted the beach below. It would be a rough fall.