Chapter Twelve

"I want to revive the Portuguese Empire," Canada said to his father a day after they got him back.

REC's body seized up, and he slowly turned around to look at Canada. "No," he spoke through gritted teeth.

"Why not? I thought he was your friend!" Canada protested.

"He is. But it's dangerous. Who knows what could happen to you? Or to him!" REC said sternly.

"He's fine with it. We—I asked him," Canada said.

"How?" REC asked.

"Ghosts can use their powers, and PE used his power to say yes or no. You don't know this?"

"I... I thought I was going crazy," REC whispered. All those times the French Empire tried to contact him using her powers? The random objects going invisible in front of him? It was actual ghosts. Did other countries know about this? He wouldn't know. He wasn't exactly social.

"Well, PE told me that he wanted to be revived. And I've been practising," Canada said proudly.

"Where?"

"In the forest, with injured or dead animals. I revived a squirrel not too long ago. It wasn't hard," Canada said. He didn't mention that it caused him pain when he did it.

"But you only ever go to the forest with Portugal," REC narrowed his eye. "Does she know?"

"Nnnnnnnyes," his son said meekly.

"I told you not to tell anyone," REC groaned.

"She knew from the start. Besides, I trust her," Canada said.

"At least no one else knows. Right?"

"I didn't tell anyone else. Even when ROE almost caught me, I told him I had your power," he shrugged.

"I heard."

Canada froze, remembering what he had said. "I'm just like my father. A monster."

"I didn't mean it," Canada muttered.

"I know," REC said.

"So... can I go out to the old battleground and revive PE?" Canada asked after a long moment.

"No."

"Shit."

"Who taught you that word?" REC said angrily.

"You did. You always say it under your breath when you're mad," Canada said.

"Shit..."

"Hey, you did it again!"

"Fu—" REC stopped himself from teaching his son new words, and sighed. "It's too dangerous right now. ROE could be anywhere. I need you here. After the war is over, you can revive PE."

"But we need him now! What if Portugal dies, and never gets to see her father alive again! Or what if I die, and can't use my power?" Canada cried.

"That won't happen. PE isn't going anywhere, and neither are you kids. You'll be safe here with me and the Kingdom of Portugal."

Canada stormed off grumpily, and slammed the door to the guest room. Tears formed in his eyes, and he wiped them away, but they kept on coming. He felt so mad, so frustrated. Why didn't REC want his friend back? Even if there was some danger, it would be better if PE was back as soon as possible. He ignored what happened the last time.

Canada propped the window open, and wriggled through it. He would sneak out, and do it alone instead. After he got Portugal, of course.

He tapped on her window with some stones, since she was on the second floor.