Chapter Fifteen

HI THERE, words appeared in the air, made of water.

"Hi," Canada said absently. He was grounded. For the first time ever. "Who are you?"

A DISTANT RELATIVE OF YOURS, THE BRITISH EMPIRE. HOW ARE YOU TODAY?

"Terrible. I got grounded because I reviv—" Canada paused. He wasn't supposed to say that he could revive countries. "Nevermind. I can't tell you,"

I KNOW THAT YOU CAN REVIVE COUNTRIES. GHOSTS SEE A LOT OF THINGS, YOU KNOW, the British Empire said.

"Oh. I don't get why my dad doesn't want me to use my powers," Canada mumbled.

HE WANTS TO PROTECT YOU. CANADA, YOU HAVE ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL POWERS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. BUT IF ONE SELFISH COUNTRY GETS AHOLD OF YOU, YOU COULD GET HURT. OR WORSE.

"I guess that makes sense. But I'm not scared of that. I'd rather help people and get hurt then do nothing and let them get hurt. Is that bad?"

NOT AT ALL. GO TALK TO YOUR FATHER, I'M SURE HE'LL UNDERSTAND. IF NOT, WHO CARES? GO BE YOURSELF.

"Thank you," Canada said, before opening his bedroom door. "Dad, I need to talk to you."

"What is it?" his father said, sounding tired. He emerged from his own room into the hallway, his wings dragging across the floor.

"I am not scared of other countries. I want you to know that I can take care of myself. I know that you want me to be safe, but I want to be able to help the good people who are hurt. If I do nothing, it will be my fault," Canada said, avoiding his father's eyes as he spoke.

"I know," REC sighed.

"I—what?" Canada blinked in surprise.

"I'm sorry for not trusting you. I wanted to keep you safe, but I was selfish for not recognizing your needs. But I trust you now. If you want to bring countries back to life, with their permission, I will follow you to the ends of the cliffs," REC said, smiling softly at his son. "I'll go talk to the Chagatai Khanate, and see what I can do about gathering all the ghosts to see if they want to be revived."

"Thank you."

A fragmented memory. A red country holding a knife over his head, his cheeks streaked with angry tears. It all goes black.

The Portuguese Empire gasped for air, shocked with the memory. It was... REC who killed him. The red country. He... he betrayed him.

That's why he didn't want to talk about it! He didn't want anyone to know that he killed me. My body was so far away from the rest of the battle, so no one would know... he thought.

"Now what..." he muttered.

"Would you like some pancakes?" his father asked, scaring him. He and Spain made their way down the stairs to the dining room, where PE was seated.

"What are those?"

"You don't remember pancakes?! They used to be one of your favourite breakfasts," the Kingdom of Portugal exclaimed.

"Well, I'd love to try them!" PE said.

"I'll get a few ready. How many do each of you want?" Spain said.

"One should be enough," PE responded.

"Five. Actually, maybe six," KoP grinned.

"Seven in total. I'll have that ready in about five to ten minutes!" Spain said, making his way into the kitchen.