Chapter Five

The Dutch Empire was still awake. The sun was long gone, and the moon had made it far above the sky. Stars twinkled in the distance, insignificant specks in the blanket of darkness.

DE loved the sky.

He leaned against his balcony, the wood creaking beneath his weight. The lantern beside him flickered, its flames casting long shadows across the grass around his home. Then it disappeared and appeared two feet away.

"Hello, Bulgaria. How's life? Or should I say, death?" DE said jokingly. The lantern teleported three times quickly, then three times with pauses in between, then three times again quickly. S.O.S.

DE hurried inside without hesitation, his smile disappearing. He grabbed the group of letters from the closet and set them up alphabetically. He grabbed a note and a pen, and the lantern was teleported inside for some light.

R-O-E-I-S-G-O-N-E, the letters teleported away and back as Bulgaria spoke to DE.

"What...?" DE stopped, dropping the pen to the floor. "He-he can't be. Tell me this is a joke!"

N-O-B-O-D-Y-K-N-O-W-S-W-H-E-R-E-H-E-I-S, Bulgaria continued. DE scrambled to write down each letter to translate.

"Maybe he went on a vacation?" DE weakly said.

N-O, two letters teleported away. H-E-I-S-B-A-C-K

DE set down the paper.

"Then I have to warn everyone. We need to prepare for the worst case scenario," he said.

The letters started teleporting again, urgently and quickly. He couldn't decipher them. He found out what they were saying soon enough.

Something impaled him.

A scythe from the looks of it. Thankfully, it was his shoulder. Not so thankfully, he knew exactly who it was.

The Roman Empire ripped the weapon from the blue, red and white country's back. DE stumbled forward, as he covered the front of the wound. Then his knees gave out below him.

"I can't let you do that. It would ruin the fun," ROE smirked, kneeling down beside him.

"We will kill you again. You can't win against us," DE choked out, trying to struggle to his feet.

"Hah. You already tried. But I have proven again and again that I will come back. Nothing can stop me. Not even a little bit of gold," ROE said, circling around him.

"We've done it before... we'll do it again. When will you learn to give up?" DE grit his teeth against a new wave of pain. Every single small object in the house started teleporting, as Bulgaria panicked from inside the Realm of the Dead.

"How many of you are left? Six? I'm sure it won't be a problem," ROE chuckled, then stood up, raising his scythe over his head. "Might as well make it five."

DE immediately set up a force field around himself, but he struggled to do so. It was small, dull and weak. When ROE brought his weapon down, it broke.

DE scrambled backwards, setting up another shield. He stared defiantly into the red country's eyes, holding his wound tentatively.

"When will you learn to give up?" ROE asked, quoting DE's words with a laugh.

"As long as I am still here, never," DE glared at his enemy.

"I can fix that problem."

The Teutonic Order was out on her nighttime stroll, when she glanced at the Dutch Empire's house. Strangely enough, the lights inside were flickering. Three short, three long, three short. While TO didn't know much morse code, she knew those letters. S.O.S. DE was in trouble.