Chapter Twenty-Eight

The Ottoman Empire took a large gasp of air before hitting the water. It felt like he was smashing onto a grassy floor, only to sink in. He reached for the surface in vain, bubbles floating upwards.

The wound in his leg throbbed, the spear awkwardly sticking out of it. He wanted to pull it out, but didn't want to lose too much blood.

He kicked his legs furiously, and finally made it to the surface. He breathed in short breaths, eager for air, but he fell into the water once more. He felt his hand hit a nearby boulder, which was his only warning before he was smashed into the rocks.

OE tried to cling on. He was pulled back. He braced himself for the next impact. It came even harder. Spots started to appear in the edges of his vision. He wanted to take a breath. Even if it was water. Just one breath couldn't hurt...

No!

He pulled out the spear with gritted teeth. The next time he was slammed into the cliffside, he stuck the spear into the rocks, holding on with all his might. The water pulled back, and he emerged into open air. He gasped quickly, and manoeuvred himself to a higher position before it struck again.

Every time he had a moment of air, he used his speed to climb higher on the cliff. His leg burned, and red blood ran down the cliffside, but he continued to pursue his life. He carried the spear with him, using it as an extra foot or handhold.

OE slipped several times, and nearly took in a mouthful of water when he wasn't paying attention to the waves. Finally, he reached the required height to not touch the water, and allowed himself to relax.

I am going to murder the Byzantine Empire, he thought angrily. BZE nearly killed him! He would make sure he paid. Perhaps even with his own spear...

After a few moments, he continued upwards. The climb was daunting. He was already tired from trying not to drown, how could he get up a cliff?! It made it a little easier with his speed and reaction time, but that only made him more exhausted.

It would be so easy to just...

Give up.

Denmark-Norway blinked at the League of Lezhe. The red and black country blinked back.

How much of that did you see? He asked.

"I'm going to be honest, I know very little sign language..." Lezhe said slowly, then sped up. "You can heal yourself?! That was your power? I always wondered what it was. Can you heal other countries too? Like Canada?"

D-N blanked at the bombardment of questions. Lezhe shut his mouth immediately.

"Sorry. It's just that you are a really mysterious individual! I like looking into other powers," Lezhe avoided his eyes sheepishly.

It's okay. How good are you at keeping secrets? D-N used a stick to write on the ground. Perhaps it wouldn't be too bad to tell him the whole story.

"Extraordinary! One time I was asked to keep a secret for the Principality of Serbia about how he always sleeps with a stuffed animal. I've yet to tell anyone!" the black-winged country exclaimed proudly.

You just told me, D-N wrote, dumbfounded.

"Fuck. Well, he's dead now, so it doesn't matter!"

Aren't you sad about it?

"Of course I am. But he's still here, isn't he? We just can't speak with him. Or anyone, for the past few days. We tried to speak with HRE and SWE..." Lezhe stopped, looking puzzled. "When was the last time you spoke with a ghost?"