Chapter Twenty-Seven (ew)

The Portuguese Empire stiffened when he saw Red Ensign Canada. He died because of him.
"What do you want?" he asked as REC approached him.
"I want to talk. I need to explain things properly," REC said quietly, holding his hands out in front of him.
"What is there to talk about? You killed me. I saw you holding that knife over my—"
"And I almost did kill you! It would have been better if I'd succeeded. The Roman Empire was going to get your power. You told me to kill you to prevent it. I didn't have much time, I was going to get you to safety," REC cried, his voice breaking, and PE's expression changed. "But you got hurt again. You were about to die. I didn't want to do it. But I raised that knife above my head and I still failed to kill you. You died before I could."
PE stayed silent. "How do I know you're not lying?" he said shakily after a few long moments. "You had plenty of time to make that up."
"The Dutch Empire was there. I can take you to him, if you want," REC offered. PE sighed.
The story made sense. He had an alibi. He had no reason to kill PE.
He was wrong all along.
"It's... fine. I believe you," PE muttered.
REC's eye went wide. "Really?"
"I was wrong," he admitted, feeling guilty as it became more clear. "You were right. I shouldn't have trusted a random memory. I was desperate for a real answer, and you were so quiet about the battle, I—"
"It's okay. I probably would have done the same. Maybe. I don't know how I'd act if I lost my memory," REC laughed without humour.
"Let's hope you don't have to find out. I'm glad you talked to me about this. Even if I didn't listen at first," PE smiled. He made the right decision. At this point, he didn't care if REC did kill him in the past for the sake of protecting his power.
"I'm glad you eventually listened," REC sheepishly smiled back. He drew his wings closer to his body.
"Um, anyways... you should check on your son. He might be stressed out with all the injuries from the last battle," the Portuguese Empire said after a few moments.
"Shit, right. Want to come with me? Your daughter might be over there," REC offered.
"I keep forgetting I have a daughter. It's so unbelievable! She's a true gem," PE laughed.
"She is."

The Russian Empire was released from mind control. He gasped and stumbled forward, shuddering from the feeling. The Roman Empire had kept his hold on them for the entire night, only letting them go when the stranger escaped.
It wasn't like the usual mind control. He couldn't fight back. He couldn't reach inside of him. And there was ROE's voice inside of his head, telling him commands.
Walk.
Stop.
OBEY.
"What was that?" the Swedish Empire breathed beside him. He started to run towards the group of nearby living countries, with RE following.
"It was ROE. Since he has the Mongol Empire's power, he can change the rules here however he pleases. He must have made it so that we can't communicate with the living anymore," RE explained. SWE stopped.
"Then we're doomed," he whispered. "He's going to use us to kill everyone we love. And we'll be powerless."
"There must be some way to stop them," RE muttered. He spotted movement out of the corner of his eye, and turned to face the Spanish Empire.
"RE! I have info," SE began. "Before we were controlled, I heard ROE talking to his son and the Kingdom of France. ROE made it so that we can't use our powers to communicate in the living world. He also made it so that he can control us and make us appear physically when he wants to."
"We know. Most of it at least. Why didn't he make us appear physically in the last battle?" RE asked.
"I think he wants to save us as a surprise?" SE said.
RE thought for a few moments, then lit up. "Wait, SE, remember that time you were fighting with the French Empire here, and she actually hurt you? I still see the scar," he pointed to a large scrape on SE's arm.
"How could I forget?" SE grumbled. "What's this have to do with anything?"
"We could send a message on our own skin. Something to help them understand what's going on," RE said.
"What would we send? We don't have enough skin to write anything long," SWE said. "Also, I do not volunteer for this."
"Hmm. You're right, we have too little words for it to be legible. We need a way to actually talk with them," RE groaned. He sat down, and pondered over what he could do.
"Can't Canada revive us? Perhaps we can send a message like that," SWE suggested.
"We'll lose all our memories, and I don't think wounds will carry over," RE countered.
"We could... pretend we're on ROE's side, get him to revive us without losing our memories, then backstab him?" SE said.
"That would take too long," RE closed his eyes.
"What are your ideas, then?" SE asked.
"Give me a moment." RE furrowed his brow.
How did the countries with less visible powers communicate? The Portuguese Empire and Bulgaria used to use morse code and similar tactics, but they were still using their powers. Serbia never talked with anyone... except for the Chagatai Khanate!
"We don't even need to write on our skin! We need to find CK, and tell her everything," RE breathed. SWE and SE nodded determinedly, and began running.
But then all three of them halted in place, and a single command rang in their ears.
Attack.