𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

The car ride back to the palace is silent

The car ride back to the palace is silent. This bodyguard really knows how to suck the fun out of everything.

I look out the tinted window and see the palace gates in the distance, excitement coursing through my veins. Finally, something fun.

The car comes to a stop, and then Alex opens the door for me to get out. He grabs my hand to pull me up and then walks close behind me as I enter the palace. Now I have that damn ball to get ready for.

"SOFIA!" I shout as loud as I possibly can, and a second later, my handmaid scurries into the room.

"Yes, Princess?" Sofia Hernandez, my handmaiden, asks.

Sofia is an older woman with deep brown eyes that seem to glow from within, and they are set in a striking, heart-shaped face with high cheekbones. Her features are delicate and elegant, and her skin is smooth and free of blemishes.

One of her more admirable features is her waist-length raven hair. It is naturally thick and wavy, and she often wears it pulled back in a ponytail, but there are times when she wears her hair down.

I would die for her hair.

"Get me dressed for the ball," I order, but then realize that's rude. "Please," I add, trying to sound more considerate.

I hear Alex stifle a laugh behind me, and I turn to face him with a glare. "What's so funny?"

I was just trying to be polite, damn.

"Nothing; I didn't say anything." He shrugs indifferently.

Oh, so he wants to play like that? Game on.

Sofia clears her throat, and I jump, my attention shifting back to her. I had honestly forgotten she was there. "Right this way, Princess. I will get you ready," she says before heading towards my room.

I follow her to my room and look over my shoulder, seeing Alex walking closely behind.

Of course, that boring ass just has to come along, doesn't he?

I close the door behind me when we reach my room. Alex stays out in the hallway while Sofia pulls me by my arm and starts sitting me down. She then goes in my closet and picks out multiple gowns, showing me the options.

She holds up a white satin ball gown. "This one, Princess." I must admit, the dress is stunning. I am so goddamn lucky that my handmaid has a good fashion sense.

Sofia comes over to me and then puts a corset on me before anything else. She pulls on the strings, tightening the corset. I let out a slight gasp as my lungs begin to feel restricted. "Is this part really necessary?" I ask, my voice strained.

"Of course it is. Beauty is pain, Princess," Sofia replies, tightening the corset even more and then finally getting the ball gown. I can't help but wonder what's wrong with my natural body. Wearing a waist trainer isn't going to make me even more beautiful, right?