𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟑

The princess is in the library studying with a professional who's supposed to help her with her future queen duties

The princess is in the library studying with a professional who's supposed to help her with her future queen duties. I don't bother moving from outside the door because if she doesn't want to talk to me, then she won't.

It's painfully quiet without her voice, but then I suddenly hear two other voices coming from down the hallway. One of them is the king's loud and powerful voice, but the other goes unrecognized. It's high-pitched and haughty, with a slight nasal quality that adds to the sense of pompousness and self-importance.

That princess from the party.

If the king is walking in this particular area of the palace, then he certainly must need something. Something that I probably won't be willing to give to him.

I look at the library door one more time before making the decision to walk away. Only for five minutes—nothing could possibly go wrong with the princess. Especially if there's a professional in there with her.

As the king's loud voice and heavy footsteps near, I try to dash out of the hallway to avoid him, but unfortunately, he notices me. "West!"

Wincing, I take a deep breath and turn around with my arms behind my back. My eyebrow simply lifts in response. "Yes, Your Majesty?"

Standing beside him is the ever-so-bitchy daughter of the Emperor of Austria. I forgot her actual name, and I don't care enough to ask for it again. The only thing noteworthy about her is that she's an entitled brat who thinks she's above everyone else in this godforsaken world.

Her nose is in the air with a degree of snobbiness, and she wears a silk dress in a light baby blue color. It looks hideous on her. Her heavily fried hair is tied back into a bun, with loose tendrils falling to frame her face.

"Princess Ava von Habsburg will be staying in the palace for quite a bit." The king waves a hand dismissively. "It's just that I need someone to show her around, and I don't know anyone else more trustworthy than you. She's quite the handful."

The spoiled princess rolls her eyes and mutters something that doesn't sound very nice about King Victor, but I don't say anything about it. The last thing any of us needs is for more trouble to be stirred.

Forcing a polite nod, I sigh and gesture for the princess to walk over to my side. "Of course, Your Majesty. I'm more than happy to be of service." The sarcasm in my voice is so subtle that none of them seem to notice it.

"Ah!" The king claps his hands and lightly shoves Princess Ava in my direction. "Excellent. You can start when you want. She's your responsibility now." He seems almost relieved as he walks away—not that I can blame him for that.