𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

I walk through the hallways of the palace, keeping an eye out for any threats or people who don't belong

I walk through the hallways of the palace, keeping an eye out for any threats or people who don't belong. The princess is in her room, sulking as she has for the past week. There's no point in trying to talk her into the whole situation. If I were in her place, I'd react the same way.

"Pssst!" a voice whispers, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I stop in my tracks, quickly turning towards the source of the voice. I'm immediately on high alert, ready to fight anyone at any moment. As a bodyguard, I can't be too careful, and I have to be quick to make decisions.

No one is supposed to be here at this time. I reach for my gun and silently sneak in that direction, trying to be as light on my feet as possible. "Who's there?"

"Jesus, Alexander, it's just me."

Camille emerges from the shadows, rolling her eyes. Her blonde hair is pulled back into a tight ponytail, and she's dressed in a stylish and expensive outfit, with her designer wardrobe clearly evident in her overall appearance.

I put my gun away, a wave of relief washing over me as I realized she wasn't an intruder.

She shouldn't be here at all, though.

"Cami? What the hell are you doing here?" I ask in a hushed voice, gripping my girlfriend's arm and pulling her into a corner. "I could get in real trouble for you being here," I whisper in her ear.

She sighs and rolls her eyes. "You're no fun these days. Why do you need to follow the rules so strictly?"

I glared at her. "Need I remind you that you're currently trespassing on royal property? You could get thrown in jail."

"Won't be there for long thanks to my father," she replies, twirling her hair around with a smile on her face.

Camille is a bratty, spoiled girl who loves to do whatever she wants with no consequences. She's an entitled snob who thinks she owns the world. She has no respect for authority, nor does she care about anyone but herself. But despite all of this, I love her. She's my only weakness.

She, on the other hand, doesn't feel the same way. My girlfriend thinks I'm an uptight prick who's too serious about his job. It's true, I am, but who wouldn't be when they're a bodyguard for a princess who's constantly trying to get into trouble? The King would have my head if something happened to Princess Elena on my watch.

"You really need to leave."

Camille scoffs. "And here I thought you'd be happy to see me."

I'm silent for a second, hesitating to respond. Of course I'm happy to see her, but I've got to set a clear boundary. If she keeps doing stuff like this, I'm going to get into trouble. And I can't exactly make exceptions for Camille, no matter how much I love her.