𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟔

Paparazzi flash their bright lights, their cameras clicking while reporters bombard me, looking for a big scoop

Paparazzi flash their bright lights, their cameras clicking while reporters bombard me, looking for a big scoop. Marco stands beside me, posing for the photos like the self-obsessed egomaniac he is. The prince's stupid security team fails to keep reporters from touching me, and without Alex here, everything feels like a disaster.

"Smile," Prince Marco hisses in my ear, his tone ordering me to do so. It almost makes me not want to listen, but I know I have to keep up an appearance for the public, so I swallow my pride and smile widely at the cameras.

But the feeling of his arm holding my waist is making me gag, so I jerk away from him as fast as I can. I stand at a distance from him, but he notices right away and glares at me.

He yanks me to his side, snaking an arm around my waist again. "You can hate me later, Elena," Marco snaps lowly, his tone venomous and unusually serious. "The world is watching."

Marco takes my hand and leads me toward the entrance of the charity gala we're attending. As we make our way to the door, a group of reporters approach us, shouting questions and holding microphones toward my face.

"Princess, how do you feel about the recent reports of your new marriage being in trouble?" one reporter asks, his camera crew shoving their equipment in my face.

"Is it true that Prince Marco has been cheating on you?" another yells.

I ignore them, keeping my smile fixed on my face, even as my heart races with fear. This is exactly what I didn't want—the media interfering with our personal business and twisting it to fit their own narrative.

"Just smile, Elena. Don't talk to them," Marco growls, squeezing my hand tightly as we reach the entrance.

No shit.

I take a deep breath and step forward, ready to face the music and keep up appearances for the sake of my family, my country, and my reputation.

As soon as I step into the party, the sound of chatter and laughter fills my ears, and the air is alive with energy. The venue looks like something out of a fairytale, with candles flickering on the table and rose petals scattered on the floor. The aroma of delicious food makes my stomach rumble, and I realize I'm starving. It's been a long day.

But all of that is only a distraction from my real feelings. My heart is heavy, and a lump forms in my throat as I look around, realizing how lonely I am without Alex by my side. He's the only one who can truly ease my worry, and now he's gone.

Because of my stupid trust issues.

I shake away my thoughts and continue walking, determined to put on a brave face, even though I feel like I'm drowning. A familiar voice fills my ears, and I turn around to see the French president's son, Pierre L'Avoir, approaching.

He extends his hand to me, and I place mine in his, noticing how strong and warm it feels. "Elena. You look stunning tonight," he says with a warm smile.