𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓

[tw: mention of scars]

The training room of the palace is a large, open space with a marble floor and a high ceiling, allowing for ample room to practice combat maneuvers. In the center of the room, there are a series of punching bags and sparring dummies, all of which are useful for hand-to-hand combat training.

I repeatedly punch a bag filled with bricks over and over again until my knuckles bleed. After that, I drop down to the floor on a mat and begin doing 50 push-ups, not stopping to take a break. This has been part of my daily exercise routine ever since I turned 15.

My eyes drift to my water bottle on the side once I'm done with my push-ups, and I rush to grab it, gasping for air. The water splashes over my face as I reel my head back and gulp it down like a dehydrated animal.

Maybe I'm overworking myself.

But it's the only way to get rid of my stress and run away from everything else in my life. I have to push myself past my limits—push myself to be strong. If I had been strong as a kid, my mother could still be alive.

A familiar and very annoying giggle comes from the door, and I turn around to see Princess Ava standing on the threshold with a grin. "See, this is what I meant by entertainment."

What is she doing up this early in the morning?

I scowl at her, but then notice her eyes wandering down my body. They seem to be locked onto my abdomen, and I face away from her to find my shirt. When I bend down to pick up the t-shirt from the floor, she suddenly gasps.

"Those scars on your back," she points out, making me wince. "Where are they from?"

Quickly throwing my shirt over my head, I spin around to face her once again with a glare. She reminded me of something that I didn't want to think about again. "It's none of your business," I reply coldly.

"Don't get so uptight, Mr. West," she groans, waving her hand away dismissively. "I'm just curious."

"You shouldn't be," I snap back, grabbing a towel and throwing it over my shoulder. Some blood from my knuckles gets on it, but I couldn't care less.

She giggles once again and crosses her arms over her chest. "On the bright side, they make you look more attractive," the blonde adds, her arms crossed as she continues to grin.

I roll my eyes at her comment, brushing it off, and fix my grey sweatpants before slipping into my black sneakers. "Whatever, I'm going to take a shower now."

As I start walking out of the training room, Princess Ava continues to follow me, and my body twinges with annoyance. She's been doing this ever since she got here—watching every move I make and studying me in every way.

Turning around to face her, my eyebrow lifts in response. "Want to join or something?" I retort sarcastically, staring daggers at her.

Princess Ava lets out another annoying giggle, her pink lips curling into a mischievous smile. "Can I?" she asks slyly.