𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

After the events of yesterday, I'm just glad to finally be back in bed again

After the events of yesterday, I'm just glad to finally be back in bed again. My bed is the only thing I look forward to at this point. I could just sink into my soft mattress and sleep all my troubles away.

Only for a while, though.

I'm woken up by the sound of Sofia's voice cutting through the crisp morning air. Her voice is usually something I'm glad to wake up to, but not today. Not after how she lied to me.

Sofia enters my room without even knocking, opening my curtains to allow the sun to shine in. "Princess! Happy birthday!" she squeals with excitement, acting as if nothing had happened.

I sit up on my bed and glare at her, not saying a word. She doesn't deserve an ounce of gratitude after the shit she pulled with me the other day.

The handmaid immediately notices my fierce gaze directed at her, and she frowns. "Princess? Is something wrong?"

I chuckle angrily, wanting to mock her. That's how bitter I really am. "Cut the bullshit. You know exactly what you did."

"I'm afraid I don't follow," Sofia responds while rummaging in my closet, looking for a fancy dress for me to wear today.

I clench my jaw and scoff. I can't believe she doesn't realize what she did wrong.

How can someone be so damn clueless?

"Let me refresh your memory then. You lied to me about the meeting with my father. You're a bitch."

Sofia's face falls as if the words I just said were the most hurtful things possible. I've never seen her look this heartbroken before, and it almost makes me feel bad for what I just said.

Almost, but not quite.

"You broke my trust, Sofia," I snapped through gritted teeth. "You lied to me."

The handmaid looks at me with regretful eyes, putting her head down in shame. She sighs and looks back up at me, a tear running down her cheek. "I didn't mean to disappoint you, Princess. I was just trying to do my job," Sofia protests.

"Well, the only thing you achieved was making sure I could never trust you again," I snarled back.

Sofia's eyes widen, and I instantly know that I've gone too far. My words were meant to hurt her, and yet, that's exactly what I've done. My handmaid rushes over to my bedside, taking my hands into her own, and I instantly tense up. This is all too much for me, especially considering how I feel about physical contact when I'm angry.

"I'm sorry," she whispers, sounding sincere. "I really am."

I can see the pain in her eyes, and a small part of me starts to feel like a monster. I never wanted to hurt her, but I'm so angry and tired of everything right now. It's just one heartbreak after another. I feel like every single person I come to trust ends up breaking that trust.