𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎

"Will you please just talk to me?" The sound of Sofia's voice is the only thing I hear as she helps me get ready

It's been two days since the little heart-to-heart conversation with Alex at night, but our relationship with each other has actually improved. I don't think I hate him anymore. But this isn't about him right now.

I still don't know whether I should forgive Sofia or not. I've been ignoring her for almost a month, not listening to her pleas at all. While a simple sorry doesn't usually suffice, it's still Sofia at the end of the day. Her intentions are never ill, and even if she really stinks at apologies, I have to give her a chance at some point. Besides, maybe I can change her opinions about Marco and actually get her to choose me over my parents.

"What?" I snap angrily, glaring at her while she pins jewels to my body.

Her eyes twinkle like bright stars shining in the night sky just because I'm talking to her. Even if it comes out rude. "Are you finally going to stop giving me the silent treatment?"

"Are you finally going to stop ignoring my true feelings?" I shoot back at her. I need to know the truth.

The handmaid frowns while reaching over for a brush. "How am I ignoring your feelings?" she asks while fixing my hair.

Seriously?

Having had enough of her bullshit, I decided to tell her what I thought. "You know what, Sofia? This is exactly why I'm angry at you. You don't even realize what you're doing to me is wrong. You don't even care."

Sofia looks down at her hands while she pins me up. I can tell by the look on her face that she's hurt. It must be hard for her to hear me say these things. She's always felt like a mom and a caretaker to me. But I can't keep her around if she's not going to actually listen to me.

"Sofia, all I ever wanted was to be seen," I admit.

She hesitates for a moment before looking up at me, her expression turning sympathetic. "And I'm trying to see you, Princess," she says. "I hear what you're saying."

I'm shocked by her response. For a moment, I'm speechless until I finally find my voice. "Then why do you keep ignoring me?" I inquire. "You never listen when I try to tell you how I really feel."

"I do listen," Sofia protests. "And I do see you. I see a strong, beautiful princess who has been through so much and is still standing."

I feel myself softening at her words. But I also know that that's not all I am. I have normal feelings, thoughts, and dreams, just like everyone else. Being a princess doesn't make me any different emotionally from a normal teenage girl.

"Then listen to me when I tell you that Marco is a bad person and I don't want to marry him," I finally tell her after working up the courage to do so.

The handmaid's face contorts in confusion. "What?"