𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟔

Everything is hazy in the morning

Everything is hazy in the morning. My head is pounding, and there's gauze wrapped around my hand. I have no idea where they came from, and I don't remember much of what happened yesterday either. All that comes to mind is the disagreement I had with Alex.

Yawning, my hands grasp the back of my head as I roll over on my bed. My body is aching, but I manage to check the alarm on my nightstand. It's only 4 AM, which surprises me because I never get up this early, but I could also make use of this extra time.

I roll over some more until I fall off of my bed with a large thump, but I couldn't care less. Right now, I need a long and hot shower, and that's what I plan to do.

Slowly finding my balance, I get back up on my feet and head to my private bathroom. I don't even bother turning the light on; instead I just turn on the shower as quickly as I can.

With a sigh of relief, the scalding water from the showerhead washes away the pain that was once coursing through my entire body. The heat soothes my aching muscles, and I let the water cascade down my face and neck, washing away all the tension of my day.

I stay in the shower for a long time, just enjoying the warmth and the feel of the water on my skin. By the time I finally give up the luxurious shower and step out, I feel refreshed and ready to take on the day.

I dry myself off quickly, pulling my silk robe on and sliding into my fuzzy slippers. With a towel around my shoulders due to my damp hair, I step inside my room just in time for Sofia to arrive to get me ready.

Though when I take a look at the handmaid, she isn't her normal bubbly self. Her expression is taut with anxiety, as if she had seen something she wasn't supposed to. It seems like she's holding something back or is worried about something, but I can't figure out what.

"Sofia?" I question with a concerned brow lifted, approaching her calmly. "Is everything alright?"

Sofia's eyes widen slightly, but she doesn't seem alarmed by my question. In fact, she seems relieved that I noticed something different. "Yes, everything's fine; thank you," she replies, a small smile spreading across her face.

Even with those words, though, her voice is shaky and her hands are trembling slightly. With those factors added to her initial concerned expression, I can't help but wonder if there's more to the story.

However, I keep my suspicions to myself for the time being. Instead of being nosy, I respect her decision not to speak much about her current state and sit down on my chair so that she can get me ready.

˚ʚ ˚✧.

By the time I'm done getting ready, my headache only worsens. My memory is still very foggy as well, but the minute I see Alex when I step out of the door, my mood just seems to sour even more.