𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔

My eyes scan over the outdoor archery range, which is located close to the Royal Gardens

My eyes scan over the outdoor archery range, which is located close to the Royal Gardens. It's a large open field that has been cleared of any obstructions. The field is flat and has been leveled, and along the edge of the field is a set of fences, creating a perimeter around the area and keeping any stray arrows or shots from leaving the archery range.

However, what I enjoy the most about this spot is the scenic view it provides.

The wind feels soft, making my hair flow in the wind and creating a cool atmosphere. Alex's hands are on my waist, adjusting my stance. "Release," he says in a hushed tone.

Rolling my eyes, I take aim, drawing the bowstring with my right hand and fixing my focus on the target. I feel my bodyguard watching me from behind, but I'm determined to hit my mark. My fingers release the arrow, and it soars through the air, piercing the target's dead center.

I turn to face him with my arms crossed. "I know how to shoot an arrow, dumbass," I retorted with an eye roll, peeved about his earlier assumption.

Instead of responding to my remark, the bodyguard suddenly sways and topples forward, clutching his stomach. "Alex?!" I exclaim, dropping my bow and hurrying to steady him before he falls flat on his face.

He turns his head away from me, clearly embarrassed. "You don't have to do that, you know," he utters quietly. His veiny hands grip my shoulders for support, and his forehead is resting on the top of my head.

"But I want to," I respond, my voice soft and gentle. The sound of his breathing is erratic as his heart beats faster. I want so badly to be his comfort, to show him I care about him the same way he seems to care about me.

"Don't," he mumbles, taking a deep breath to steady himself.

He lifts his head up again, his eyes meeting mine, and they widen at the sight of someone finally being there for him. He's been so overwhelmed by his duty as my bodyguard that he's barely had a chance to rest or take a breath.

"I knew it was too early for you to be walking," I comment with a frown on my face, looking into his eyes filled with pain. It's gut-wrenching to see him like this.

He shakes his head slowly, his eyes focused on mine. I see a glint of pain in his blue irises, mixed with exhaustion and relief. It's a difficult burden to bear, but one that he bears willingly for me. "I don't care if it's too early. I'm not letting you out of my sight, understand?"

What a stubborn ass.

"Fine," I relent, slowly letting him balance himself. Once I'm completely backed away, I turn around to retrieve my bow and arrows from the floor so I can get back to practicing. "Can you stand by yourself?"