𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖

[warning: smut]

[warning: smut]

I turn and toss in my bed, trying to get comfortable on the soft mattress, but it feels impossible. Alex told me everything that happened—told me why he broke down the way he did. It's all because of my father, and I can't help but feel at fault for it, too. This is why he hates royalty.

After a few moments of unsuccessfully trying to fall asleep, my feet swung off the bed, sliding into my white, fuzzy slippers. I tug at my nightgown—a silky, lilac fabric with a lacy, square neckline—and slip into the dark corridors outside of my bedroom.

The hallways are only lit by the old-fashioned wall lamps, and occasionally, palace guards pass by. None of them notice me, though, as I blend into the shadows with ease.

Eventually, I end up wandering into the western wing of the palace. The western wing is where all the guards live, but I'm only looking for one person. Alex. I want to make sure he's okay.

As I make my way to his room, I catch glimpses of some more guards passing by. I don't think much of them, but I can't help but notice their uniforms. The royal crest is sewn onto every single one.

Finally, I reach his room, and taking a deep breath, I place my hand on the knob. With a loud creak, the door opens, revealing another dimly lit room. I step inside, scanning the area for the bodyguard. He's sitting at a small desk in the corner, his head buried in his hands. The sight of him brings a smile to my face.

I close the door behind me and lock it for extra measure before approaching him. "Alex?" I call out gently, my voice barely above a whisper, so that nobody else hears me.

His head shoots up immediately, and he spins around in his chair to face me. His brows are furrowed in confusion, but he looks like he's feeling better. "Princess," he says, his tone guarded. "Why are you here? Shouldn't you be in your room right now? It's very late."

A soft smile plays on my lips as he stares at me. "I wanted to check on you," I answer truthfully, my hands clasping together. "How are you?"

"I'm fine," he replies, but there's an obvious tension in his voice, and his face remains blank. After sitting in silence for a moment, he continues speaking in a slightly softer voice. "I'm thinking about something else now."

My head tilts to the side slightly—a habit I tend to do whenever I'm curious. "What's on your mind?" I inquire, silently worrying that it might be something bad.

Alex doesn't even hesitate. "You."

His words hang in the air between us like a thick fog. My chest is fluttering, and despite my best efforts, I can't hold back a grin. "Me? I'm on your mind?" I echo.