𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

"Behave yourself," Alex mutters into my ear, leaning down

I roll my eyes and resist the urge to shout at him. I'm still angry with him, although I don't really know why. I'm very aware that I'm just pushing him away. Maybe I prefer it that way.

Right now, Alex is escorting me to my birthday dinner, hosted by my parents. My birthday is tomorrow, and yet, I'm not happy about it. I never thought I would despise the day I finally became a legal adult, but Marco ruined all of that.

We enter the grand dining hall, which is an expansive room with high ceilings, elegant chandeliers, and ornate carpets that cover the floors. The walls are adorned with exquisite tapestries and paintings, and the tables and chairs are made of the finest wood and marble.

The extravagant display on the table is a mouth-watering presentation of classic Italian cuisine. The spread consists of an assortment of antipasto—a selection of cured meats, cheeses, and marinated vegetables—followed by steaming plates of delicious fettuccine Alfredo and baked ziti. The table also features a wide variety of different pasta sauces, as well as a rich and creamy risotto. For dessert, the table is graced by a hearty portion of tiramisu.

My favorite.

I'm immediately greeted by my parents, who are wearing very formal clothes. I never saw this dinner as a big deal, so I don't know why they're dressed in some of their best attire.

That is, until I hear Prince Marco's voice.

"Elena! It's great to see you again." The prince approaches me with a smug smile that I just want to wipe right off his face.

He opens his mouth to say something else but stops when Alex walks up and stands by my side. He cowers all of a sudden, bowing his head down and clearing his throat.

Then two more people enter. Marco's parents, whom I know as King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia. The king and queen of Spain enter the grand dining hall with a regal air, dressed in their typical formal attire. Their presence adds an air of prestige to an already opulent dining hall.

While they talk to my parents, I try to sneak out of the room. That's when I realized that Alex had been holding me this whole time.

"Let go of me," I whisper to him with a scowl on my face, but he only tightens his grip on my wrist, his jaw fixed in a determined expression. I scowl at him.

How the hell did he know I was going to sneak out?

King Felipe turns around, spots me, and walks toward me. "Elena, my dear," he begins, his voice rich and warm. "Happy eighteenth birthday. You look absolutely radiant this evening."

I blink, unimpressed. "My birthday is actually tomorrow," I correct.

The king looks appalled by my response, but I just stand there, completely stone-faced. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I'm bored in any way. Alex nudges me slightly, and my parents turn around to scold me.