𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟗

The princess is quiet as she moves down the hallway, her footsteps not making a single echo despite the huge and empty space

The princess is quiet as she moves down the hallway, her footsteps not making a single echo despite the huge and empty space. I follow behind her, also making sure to stay as silent as possible.

Though we have a new and much safer plan, something about Elena's intrusive thoughts worries me. Seven months of knowing her, and I would have never suspected she'd be angry enough to want to kill the prince.

But I'm liking this new side of her, no matter how crazy it may seem. Since the very moment I met her, I knew she was a strong-willed soul. I knew she was not one to be messed with, and I thought I could control her.

I've never been more wrong in my entire life.

She's been the one in control for the most part—she's been the one making all the calls. Being a queen is in her nature. She's intelligent enough to make wise decisions, and she doesn't let people step all over her.

That will always be one of the biggest reasons why I fell for her. I've finally met someone who keeps me on my toes, and that alone is the reason I'm still breathing. Still talking. Still alive. Because of her.

We both turn a sharp corner, and just to the right is the location of King Victor's study. It should have all the files we need on Marco—both good and bad. Hopefully, there will be something we can use to blackmail him so he leaves us alone. Better yet, we could use something to get him imprisoned.

"This is it," Princess Elena whispers, motioning to the door of the king's study. "It shouldn't take me long to search through the files for something on Marco. Just keep on the lookout for anyone."

I nod in agreement and watch as Elena tries the handle carefully. To my surprise, the door seems to open quite easily, revealing a well-lit room filled with books and papers scattered on the large wooden desk.

The princess slips inside while I move to the threshold of the door, examining the corridors carefully with narrowed eyes. When I'm absolutely positive that there's no threat, I close the door behind us and take a stance against the wall to listen for any possible outside noises.

The silence in the study is almost deafening, broken only by the occasional rustle of paper as Elena turns the pages of the various documents spread out before her. She seems to be deeply focused on her task, her eyes scanning the pages with a practiced speed-reading efficiency.

I observe her intently, admiring her sheer determination and focus. Despite the danger of our mission—despite the potential consequences of being caught—the princess is dead set on seeing it through to the end. It's a side of her that I've seen many times, and it's another reason why I find her incredibly attractive.

It almost physically pains me to stay away from her, but I know I have to. We can't be happy until Prince Marco is gone from our lives. Otherwise, I would be putting Elena at risk.