𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

The music is playing, and I'm on guard, as always

The music is playing, and I'm on guard, as always. But this time, my guard senses are tingling. My eyes are darting all around the room, looking for any sign of danger, but they stop when I see a figure walking towards me.

It's a blonde girl that I noticed the princess with earlier.

She has a delicate, porcelain-like complexion with fair skin that is punctuated by rosy cheeks and a small nose. Her most notable feature is her wide-eyed facial structure, which consists of large, almond-shaped eyes that are emphasized by her full, dark eyebrows. Her long, blonde hair is a signature aspect of her appearance, though.

The girl stops a few feet in front of me, staring up at me. "Hello, Princess Elena's bodyguard," she says slyly, giving me a smile.

I don't react to her words or her smile; I'm just waiting for her to elaborate further.

"I haven't seen you around before," she states coyly as she takes a step forward and puts her hand on my chest. I don't move an inch and remain silent, my face expressionless, which only seems to annoy her. "Maybe I should have a closer look at you," she adds, taking another step towards me.

Who the fuck is this girl, and why is she getting so close to me?

"What's your name?" She asks, her voice low as she runs her hand along my arm.

Is this her attempt to seduce me? Because it's failing miserably, she must think I'm stupid.

"Alexander West," I respond, showing disinterest in my tone. "And you?"

"Princess Ava von Habsburg," she replies as she takes her hand off my arm, smiling widely and casually. "Eldest daughter to the Emperor of Austria." She cocks her head to the side.

Of course she's a goddamn royal. All these brats think they have the whole world wrapped around their finger.

"And what do you want from me if you don't mind me asking, Your Highness?"

"I have nothing that I need from you," she answers, her smirk never leaving her face. "In fact, I don't think I'm getting anything here, period." She twirls around once and then turns back to me. "I was just wondering who the new handsome bodyguard was."

She might just be the most annoying royal I've ever met. God, how I'd love to wipe that smug look off her face. I have manners, though.

"I appreciate the compliment, Your Majesty, but this is highly inappropriate. And I also have a girlfriend," I state sternly.

"A girlfriend, you say?" Princess Ava snickers, putting on a surprised expression. "I'm sure she's a very lucky girl." She moves in even closer as she speaks, and her face is mere inches from my own.

Why the hell is she standing so close? Is she trying to intimidate me?

"We'll see about that," she whispers, leaning in and gently kissing my cheek. I tense up and look at her in shock, my whole body going rigid as she pulls away and flashes me a playful smile.