𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

I hate a lot of things, but going on a date with the prince is definitely near the top of my list

I hate a lot of things, but going on a date with the prince is definitely near the top of my list. My parents thought it would be a good idea for Marco and I to get to know each other, so they arranged for the two of us to go out to eat at a fancy five-star restaurant.

"One last final touch," Sofia says with a smile, placing my tiara on my head while being mindful of my hair and not messing it up.

I'm still mad at her, though, so I don't say a word.

The handmaid frowns and attempts to get me to talk. "So, are you excited to go on a date with the prince?"

I can't help but speak now. Whenever someone brings up Marco, it's always a way for me to let out my frustration through words. Sofia's going to have to be the one to hear my wrath today, and frankly, I don't give a shit if her feelings are hurt.

"What kind of dumb question is that? Of course I'm not," I retort, letting my anger slip through my tone.

Her lower lip quivers, and for a second, I feel bad. "I am so sorry, Princess. I just thought—"

"Just stop." I cut her off completely. I know I'm being rude, but I can't help it if I'm a hothead.

"Well, excuse me, Princess; I was just trying to be a good handmaid and help you out," Sofia suddenly snaps, sounding hurt and angry. "I forgot that I'm just your lowly, unimportant little handmaid. What do I know? I shouldn't even be giving you my opinions."

I stare at her blankly, even though I'm feeling a mix of emotions right now. Anger. Guilt. Betrayal. Shock.

"You're right," I finally answer. "You shouldn't be giving me your worthless opinions. Leave me alone."

An immediate wave of guilt washed over me when I saw the look on her face. Perhaps I've gone too far, but right now, I just need to get out of here. I shoved my way past her and out of my room, not even giving her the chance to speak.

I walk toward the grand foyer, only to see Alex and Marco.

The prince stands tall and confident—the suit he wears is tailored to fit his muscular frame perfectly. The fabric of the suit is a deep, rich blue that accentuates his dark hair and brown eyes.

The bodyguard stands taller in his crisp, well-tailored suit. His hair is neatly combed and styled, allowing his piercing blue eyes and strong, angular jawline to shine through. He is dressed in a fine, high-quality black suit with a white button-down shirt and a dark red tie.

At first glance, everything seems normal. I then notice how Prince Marco's hair and tie are a bit messed up, and there's a scratch on his chin. But what draws my attention the most is Alex's bloody knuckles.

"Elena." Marco grins. "I could just eat you for dinner instead."

My jaw drops, and I back away in disgust. Alex steps on Marco's foot, which causes him to let out a muffled grunt.