𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

I enter the ballroom sulking at first, but then I remember I'm a princess, so I straighten my posture

I enter the ballroom sulking at first, but then I remember I'm a princess, so I straighten my posture. The ball should be almost over by now, so there's that at least.

Alex is behind me at all times. He's like a thorn in my side. Always managing to annoy the shit out of me with just his presence.

"Elena!" My father approaches me, along with my mother. "Come along; it's time for the big news.

I nod and follow them, and of course Alex is also following.

What news could it be, though?

My father leads us to the middle of the ballroom, where he stands and clinks his glass to get everyone's attention. "Good evening, attendees. As you all know, every Royal Ball concludes with a special announcement. Well today, I have a highly significant revelation to make."

Get on with it.

He continues, "As you all know, my daughter is turning eighteen in a month. But she will wed Spain's Prince Marco de Rossi once she is of legal age."

My head spins toward my father, and my jaw drops to the ground.

What the fuck?

I don't even get a say in this matter. I do not want to marry Marco, and I can't believe my own father would make me do this. I can't believe both of my parents would make me do this.

In the large audience of several hundred people, I hear cheers, and I just want to scream my lungs off. They shouldn't be clapping. I was getting my freedom taken away by getting a bodyguard, but this is a whole new level. I don't even get to choose who to love!

"Princess." Alex approaches my side and leans close to my ear. "Are you alright?"

I open my mouth to answer him, but I'm cut off by Prince Marco, who walks over to me.

"So, Elena, now that we're technically engaged, how about we get to know each other?" He asks, grinning.

I cringe at his implication. What a disgusting asshat.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I snap. "I might have to get married to you, but I will never—and I mean NEVER—love you."

"Elena!" My father shouts. "That's enough."

I spin around to face my father and my mother, who both don't even look like they have an ounce of sympathy for my dilemma.

"How could you do this to me?!" I shout at the both of them. "First, you take my freedom away by getting me a bodyguard. Now, you're forcing me to marry an asshole!"

"Keep your voice down, cara mia," my mother urges me.

"NO!" I scream. "Don't tell me what to do. You're both dead to me."