𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏

"Where are you leading me, Princess?" I groan

I follow her through the hallways of the palace, which are lined with many fine tapestries and paintings. The floor is made of marble with intricate designs etched into the stonework, and the walls and ceilings are adorned with precious gems. The ceiling is arched, with elaborate chandeliers hanging from above.

Princess Elena keeps walking, not answering my question at first. However, she comes to a sudden stop and turns around to face me. "We're going to the stables," she answers bluntly.

"What?" I ask, taken aback by her sudden truth. I then shake my head, snapping any confusion out of my head. "Absolutely not."

She shrugs. "I'm going whether you like it or not, so you should probably come with."

"No, you have to stay in your room and contemplate your actions," I state firmly.

"Or," the princess objects, "we could have some fun. Come on, you owe me this."

I raised a quizzical eyebrow. "What? How do I owe you anything?"

She pauses for a second, carefully evaluating my question. "For my promise not to reveal the secret."

"What secret?" I inquire.

She cocks her head to the side, batting her eyelashes innocently. "Well, my parents won't be thrilled to know that you basically attacked the prince."

I scoff. "I did it to protect you! And if anything, I'll just tell them he assaulted you first," I counter.

Elena pauses once more before grinning mischievously. "In other words, I got hurt on your watch. Again, I don't think my parents will be thrilled to hear that."

I'm fucked.

After realizing that I am in a corner and have no way out of this, I grudgingly acquiesce. "Fine," I relent. "Let's just get this over with."

With a smile still plastered on her face, the princess leads me through the halls of the palace and out into the dark, cool night air. The stable is a short distance away, and as we approach, I can already hear the sounds of horses neighing and hoofs clomping on the ground.

I notice that the princess still has her dress on, and I roll my eyes. "You're not even dressed properly for horseback riding."

Princess Elena simply nods. "I don't mind getting my dresses dirty. I'm not the one who cleans them."

Before I can respond to her comment, she whistles, and the horses come right to the fence. One horse in particular catches my attention. Its fur is sleek and shining black, and its dark, intelligent eyes meet mine, conveying a sense of dignity and grandeur. The horse, a majestic creature, seems almost larger than life.

Elena catches my gaze and smiles. "Her name is Tally." Her voice is surprisingly soft and pleasant, a soothing sound that lulls me into a sense of calm.