𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

[tw: a little bit of s/a, not very detailed]

I roll around on my king-sized, plush mattress, not being able to get any sleep for hours now. My mind is racing with thoughts about my birthday, which is next week. I'll finally be turning eighteen—with one very upsetting detail. I'll have to marry Prince Marco shortly after.

"Princess?" a woman's voice calls from behind my bedroom door, which is closed.

Sofia? What time is it?

I sit up on my bed and check the clock on my nightstand, which reads 8:00 a.m. How long have I been awake? Shit.

After realizing that I've basically gotten zero sleep and now have to continue my day without any, I sigh and get up from my bed. "Come in," I say.

Sofia enters the room and almost immediately examines me. I raised an eyebrow. Why is she looking at me like that? She then walks over to the side of my bed and sits down.

"Princess, why do you look so tired?" she asks, concern laced in her voice. "It's a special week; you shouldn't be looking like you haven't had any sleep." She seems genuinely worried about how tired I look.

I lean back against the wall, trying to figure out the best way to reassure her. "I'll be fine. I might look tired, but I don't feel tired. Anyway, what's my schedule for today? Do you know?"

"Yes, you have a meeting with your father regarding the plans for the engagement and the wedding."

I cringe when Sofia mentions the engagement. I've never dreaded anything more in my life. I also haven't been on speaking terms with my father ever since he announced the whole thing, so I'm not really looking forward to this meeting.

The handmaid stands up and walks toward me. "Princess, are you sure you're okay?" she asks, once again sounding genuinely worried.

"Don't worry, Sofia. I'm fine. Could you help me get ready?"

"Of course, Princess." She smiles and begins pulling out multiple gowns for me to choose from. "This one is a stunning black lace evening gown," she says while holding up the lace gown for me to see.

My brows furrow. "That seems way too revealing considering it's just a meeting with my father," I comment.

"Oh, sorry. Then how about this one?" My handmaid pulls out a long, royal blue gown with many layers of tulle underneath. It also includes long sleeves. "This is one of your father's favorites, and this one is much more appropriate."

I can't help but giggle. "Sofia, didn't you say it was just a meeting? This dress looks more like something I would wear to a ball."

"Yes, but your father has to make sure the engagement and the wedding will be perfect. Trust me, he wants you to wear a beautiful and extravagant dress for that reason."