𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟎

It's been a week since the revelation about Marco that I uncovered

It's been a week since the revelation about Marco that I uncovered. Today marks November 14th. Normally, this would be any other day. But it's actually dreadful. Marco gets crowned king later this evening.

I haven't shared the new things I've discovered about the prince—not even with Alex. Of course, he was curious after my reaction, so I had to lie to him about what I really saw.

I'm scared to tell him what I've learned.

"Princess, hold still," Sofia urges me, flicking my hand, which had been fiddling with the fabric of my dress for about twenty minutes now.

Because the coronation is today, everyone is stressed and busy. Palace servants are scurrying along the hallways outside my room, while the few that are actually in here are working together to prepare me.

The air is cut from my lungs when one of my older servants, Rosalina, takes Sofia's place and suddenly starts to tighten the strings of the corset I'm being forced to wear. My ribs feel like they're going to crush under the pressure, and I train myself to take slow, shallow breaths to relieve the discomfort.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help at all. It feels as though my spine and ribcage are being flattened by this tiny, yet painful attire that seems to have no purpose other than to torment anyone who wears it. I can't believe I'm going to have to wear this torture device all day during the coronation.

Marco's coronation.

One painful reminder keeps swirling in my head—Marco is getting everything that I was raised for. My crown. My throne. My country to rule. All because my father is a sexist asshole who doesn't trust me despite the fact that I was taught my whole life to be a queen. A wasted life.

I bite my lip as Rosalina finishes tying the corset. She's obviously having a hard time with it, too, and I can hear her grumbling under her breath about how old-fashioned and ridiculous this garment is. I can't say I disagree.

"Are you all done now?" I ask, trying to sound as impatient as I feel.

The old maid looks over at me with a bit of annoyance, and I have to force myself not to roll my eyes. I'm grateful that she's helping me prepare for the coronation, but her constant scolding and bossiness are starting to get on my nerves.

Just because she's stressed doesn't mean she has to take it out on me.

Unfortunately, my mood doesn't get any better as I watch her fluff and adjust my dress, all while whispering about how I need to be absolutely perfect for Marco's special day. It's almost as if she wants me to fail.