𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟒

"A little bit to the left

"A little bit to the left. No, not that left, you incompetent fool!" Ava's shrill and demanding voice scolds one of the maids.

I watch from the sidelines as my friend continues to berate my servants. Ava has always been the demanding type, but to see it first-hand and daily is surprising—to say the least.

Currently, some of the maids are fixing up the guest room for her since she insists on it being built for a commoner. New furniture is being added, including regal paintings and luxurious upholstery. She even ordered a whole new bed.

How long is she planning on staying?

With Marco moving here in a few weeks, the last thing I need right now is to have Ava on my plate. I don't even know why she isn't back home in the Austrian Empire—she's being very secretive.

Ava finishes her tirade, leaving the confused maids to scramble and try to fulfill her ever-changing demands. I watch as she walks away from the room, her shoulders squared and her chin held high.

As soon as she's out of earshot, I take a deep breath and lean back in my chair. However, a knock on the door pulls me out of my thoughts, and I look up to see Alex standing in the doorway. He looks tired as he enters the room, his hair disheveled and his eyes slightly red.

Standing beside him is none other than Prince Marco, and my blood boils. Marco immediately shoots me one of his signature cocky smiles, walking into the room as if he owns the entire palace and everyone just bends to his will.

"Why the pout?" the prince teases. "You know, for someone who is married to me, you don't seem very happy to see me."

Asshole.

I scowl at him. "Shut up, pig. We're not married."

Marco cocks his head to the side mockingly, taking everything I say as a joke. "Really? That ring on your finger says otherwise." He gestures to the diamond wedding ring on my finger, and I've never wanted to throw a piece of jewelry off of me more than I do right now.

My hands curl up into fists at my sides, and all rational thoughts clear from my head. They are instead replaced by the angry ones—the ones that loathe almost everyone in my life. The urges I have deep inside of me would get me executed.

As Marco continues to tease me, I struggle to maintain my composure, and my gaze drifts to the wall, where a large portrait of my family hangs. A lump forms in my throat, and I feel tears prick my eyes. It feels like only yesterday that my life was peaceful and my happiness was still intact.