𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕

Scanning the hallways for anything out of place, I stay posted at Elena's door

Scanning the hallways for anything out of place, I stay posted at Elena's door. I spot the handmaid quickly rushing through the empty corridors, and then she stops in front of me. "What happened to the princess?" she asks frantically.

I flinch at the sudden sound of the woman's voice, then turn my head to face her. "She passed out due to an unknown cause and is in her room resting currently," I reply, my tone flat. "How can I be of help to you?"

"Wait really? Did you check on her? And her vital signs?" the handmaid asks, looking extremely worried now. "Is she okay in there?"

I clear my throat. "I assure you she is fine, Miss...?"

"Sofia," she answers, "just call me Sofia. May I please go check on her?"

My body stiffens as I debate in my head what I should do. On one hand, Sofia seems to be very worried about Elena, so I should probably let her go on. On the other hand, I'd hate for the princess to be disturbed while resting.

After a quiet moment of consideration, I focus on the woman in front of me. "Yes, you may go chec—"

"What's going on?" a melodic voice asks behind us.

Turning around, I see the princess—awake at last. Normally, I'd be angry with her for interrupting me, but I can let it slide this once, I suppose.

"Princess! Thank goodness you're alright!" The handmaid immediately takes the smaller girl into her arms, hugging her tight.

Princess Elena looks suffocated, but she slowly wraps her arms around Sofia as well. "How did I get here?"

I begin to realize that she may not have remembered the fact that she passed out at the party, and she might not even know why she passed out.

Clearing my throat, I look at the handmaid. "Can you give us a moment?"

Sofia lets the princess go and raises a quizzical brow, darting her eyes from me back to Elena before sighing. "Alright," the handmaid says before turning around and walking away.

I watch her as she leaves before turning to the princess with a stern look on my face. "Do you remember why you passed out?" I ask, standing stiffly as I look her in the eyes.

The handmaid is gone now, so I can speak a bit more freely; however, I try not to let my tone of voice change too much from how strict I usually am. I want her to know I'm serious.

"I passed out?" The princess furrows her brows and looks around. "Shame," she adds with a shrug, beginning to walk away.

"Where in the world are you going?" I quickly catch up to her and grab her arm gently. I will never let her walk around by herself, especially after passing out earlier. "Did you hear a word I said, Princess?"

"Yeah, I'm not deaf, Alex," Elena retorts. She tries to pull her arm away from my grasp, which only makes me hold on to her tighter.

"I asked if you remember passing out and why it happened," I repeat through gritted teeth. I don't plan on letting go until I receive an answer. She's always trying to resist my authority. It's pissing me off.