𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟑

[tw: abuse]

[tw: abuse]

In the back of the room, my mother lies on the ground, curled into a tight ball. I can hear nothing but her anguished sobs of pain, her soul ravaged by the shattered beer bottle that struck her. I've been hurt too, the skin on my cheeks burning from the humiliating slap I received for trying to comfort her.

The face of the man who calls himself my father looms over me, his voice a low, angry growl with words that ring in my ears like a song. "Are those tears, Alexander? You should be a real man. Men don't cry. God, you'll never amount to anything."

My arm rubs over my eyes to wipe my tears away, trying to appear tougher in front of the drunk bastard. "That's not true," I whisper back weakly, my small frame trembling. "I can be good. I'll protect her. I'll save her. I'll be the son you've always wanted, I promise."

A malicious laugh shakes me to my core, and I'm suddenly lifted up by my neck. "You'll never protect anybody." My father's voice is harsh and cold. "You're a disappointment to this family. You're weak. Just like your whore of a mother."

The words cut into my flesh like sharp daggers, piercing through my heart and causing even more tears to stream down my cheeks. I try to suppress my cries, but it's no use. Sniffles turn into sobs, and the sobs turn into gasps for air as I try to escape from my father's cruel grip.

˚ʚ ˚✧.

I want to scream. To get back at that bastard for everything he had ever done to me. The familiar sound of choking filled the air, though I wasn't quite sure what was going on.

Until I heard her voice.

"Alex—" Elena is struggling to break free from my hold on her throat. She is pinned down underneath me, and she's struggling to breathe properly. I'm hurting her.

The flash of pure terror in her eyes is enough to snap me back to reality. My body jerks back almost immediately, and I start to regain consciousness of my surroundings. It seems that in my sleep, I've accidentally harmed Elena.

She reaches out to touch me, but I keep my distance. With a frown, she begins to explain what happened. "I felt you tossing and turning in your sleep. You were having a nightmare, so I tried to wake you up, but—"

"I'm sorry for hurting you," I blurt out, cutting her off. I should've never let my guard down. Falling asleep on the job is bad enough, but harming the queen? Unforgivable.

In a rush, I stand up from the bed and grab my suit jacket from where it was sprawled upon the armchair in the corner. It's still early, so that leaves me enough time to sneak out and get ready before Marco arrives.