𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕

The Midnight Masquerade Ball is hosted by the royal family of Italy, of course

The Midnight Masquerade Ball is hosted by the royal family of Italy, of course. What's different about this particular ball is that it's open-invite, meaning anyone could show up. It also happens once every decade before or after a huge event, and it's held on the night of a full moon.

The only thing I could gather from this is that royals sure do love to party a lot.

I hate it.

"Can you walk any faster?" Elena groans, pulling on my arm. I snatch it away quickly before she ends up ripping the body part off completely.

"Can you be more patient?" I retort. "Besides, I'm in no rush to get there." The only thing I hate more than parties with tons of people is being surrounded by a bunch of bratty royals. While Princess Elena has grown on me a bit, the others definitely have not.

They're all monsters.

The princess seems clueless to my disdain as we roam the corridors of the palace. It's honestly better that way. She doesn't need to know the terrible things her parents do behind her back. She's innocent—she shouldn't have to know what the people who train at the Royal Academy have to go through every day.

After a few moments, we finally reach the ballroom. It has been transformed into a magical wonderland, adorned with sparkling lights, ethereal curtains, and shimmering fabrics. There are colorful flowers, twinkling candelabras, and glittering decorations, and the air is filled with the scent of blooming roses and sweet-smelling jasmine.

The civilians and royalty all wear their finest evening wear, with the ladies donning gorgeous gowns and the gentlemen sporting ornate suits and top hats. The atmosphere feels lively and energetic, with music echoing through the room and couples dancing under the shimmering lights.

"Dance with me," Elena suddenly says.

I shake my head in disbelief, not knowing if I heard her right. Why the hell would she want to dance with me? "What?" I ask, just to be clear.

She rolls her eyes. "Don't take it to heart. I'm just asking you because I can see Marco staring at me from across the room."

I let out a quiet chuckle through my nose. That definitely seems more like it. I take her hand and lead her to the center of the ballroom, where everyone is dancing. My arms are securely wrapped around her waist while she puts hers around my neck. Behind her, I can see Prince Marco scowling. I give him a dirty look before noticing something else.

Someone else.

Camille.

"Excuse me," I whisper in Princess Elena's ear before gently letting go of her. She looks surprised at first, but then she just sighs and hides from Marco amongst the crowd of thousands of people.

After making sure she's safe, I quickly walk over to the blonde. She's holding a shot glass while talking to some of her rich friends, but I just cut in. "Cami? You didn't tell me you were coming."