𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐

The crickets are chirping outside, where it's pitch black

The crickets are chirping outside, where it's pitch black. My window is slightly cracked open to let the cool night breeze in, but all I can focus on is the stars shining in the dark sky. They remind me that even in the darkest of nights, there is still beauty and light to guide everyone.

My ears pick up the sound of footsteps in the hallway, and I jump out of bed cautiously. Anyone could be out there. Any threat. I search around my room, but I can barely see anything since the only source of light is the moon.

However, something catches my eye. Something gleams in the moonlight, and I close in on it. Sitting on my dresser is my old pocket knife, which I haven't used in a while.

Perfect.

My heart is beating rapidly in my chest, and my nerves are completely frazzled. For some reason, I'm more worked up than I probably should be. With the knife gripped tightly in my hand, I stand beside my door, waiting to attack if necessary.

My eyes dart to my door handle as soon as I hear it opening, and when the door opens, I push the intruder back against the wall and lift up a knife to their throat. They surprisingly tower over me, almost familiarly so.

And then I heard his voice.

"I didn't know you were into kinky things, Princess," Alex says, grabbing my wrist and pushing it away from him. But he also lets me pin him to the wall.

Now that my vision is clearer, I can slightly see the chiseled features of the bodyguard's face in the dark. Instead of being happy to see him, though, I scowl. "Shut up. I thought you were going to kidnap me or something."

"Kidnapping you? I would never. I only wanted to see you." Alex flashes a faint grin at me, and I can't help but notice how beautiful his blue eyes are in the dark. I could get lost in them forever, like a sailor lost at sea.

Alex's gaze roams over me hungrily, and I shudder slightly. His eyes are nearly feral as they settle on my neck, and he leans in closely. He continues to hold my wrist, and I can smell the scent of his spicy cologne, which is oddly comforting.

"You know you want this," he whispers, making me tremble violently. His voice is raw and alluring, and it's taking all of my self-control not to rip him away from the wall and drag him in for a kiss.

"I don't," I retort stubbornly, knowing damn well I do. "Look, the kissing was fun and all, but this can't be a daily occurrence. It's not like we actually like each other. It's just attraction."

If I'm being honest, I don't believe a word that comes out of my mouth. I've never wanted anything more than I want Alex, but that's also scary. I've never felt this strongly about anyone, and I hate it. So pushing him away is the best option.

The bodyguard raises an eyebrow, not believing my bullshit excuse for a second. "Your eyes tell a different story, Princess."

My face burns red, and I force myself to look away. Instead, my head is lowered, and my eyes concentrate on the floor below us. "You're seeing things."