Chapter 37 ~ Harry

Chapter 37 ~ Harry

“How many instruments do you play?” I ask her as she looks for a song on her mobile to show me. She has the sheet music of the song there and I can read music, but still, it doesn’t come to me that easy. It’s better if I can listen to it first. Plus, it’s a song by The Cab, the same band of the song she was playing the other time with that guy in Uni. I want to hear them.

“A few,” she answers distractedly.

I put the music sheets aside and focus my eyes on her, on her ginger hair falling around her face, creating this curtain that hides her features from my scrutiny. We’re seated in front of the piano, next to each other, her thigh pressed against mine. We’ve been here for a while already, she played some songs and Hope already fell asleep on the piano.

Every time she touches me, even if she just brushes my hand or it is an intentional touch, like when she poked my dimple and then gave me a peck, I can’t stop feeling like all this is a dream. I can’t believe that she has finally accepted me, what we have, and that she is being this open. I was so scared that she was going to regret it and push me away again, but no, she only brings me closer. It’s almost like she is a whole different person, but then I look her in the eyes, she smiles at me and I know it’s Hannah. Maybe this is how she was before and now she is finally coming back to her true nature.

“How many?” I insist, my hand carefully landing on her thigh and her reaction is not as it would’ve been a week ago. She doesn’t slap my hand or freeze, on the contrary, she places her hand over mine, tangling our fingers together as she keeps sliding through her huge list of songs.

“Yes!” She exclaims and I figure she found the song. She then looks at me with a cute smile on her lips. “Uh, I play guitar, bass, violin, piano, drums, flute and a bit of cello.” I can only look at her with my mouth hanging open and she giggles at my expression. “I’ve been learning since I was a little kid and I’ll probably learn to play another one in the future. Music is my life,” she adds with a little shrug, but the way her eyes sparkle when she thinks of music tells me how important this is for her.

“That’s incredible. You’re really talented,” I compliment leaning in to kiss her lips. When she kisses me back immediately I feel, again, like this is a dream. For so long I thought I was never going to get her, that it was impossible. But I kept fighting for her and now she is… mine.

I pull back, lingering on her lips a little while before I fully break the kiss and I love the way she looks at me. “Thank you,” she whispers and then remembers her mobile song. “Oh, right. The song. Here, listen,” she instructs me handing me her gadget and I tap the play button.

The song is called Endlessly and as it starts playing, I pay attention to the lyrics and the music, perfectly picturing how Hannah will play it on the piano, her hands flying over the keys. When the chorus hits I’m astonished by how much I can relate to the words, how this is what I’ve wanted to tell Hannah all this time. I look at her, wondering if she feels the same way when she hears this song, but she only seems pleased, like it is one of her favourite songs.

“It’s amazing,” I say when the song is over handing back her mobile as another song is starting. She stops it and nods.

“You think we can try it?” She asks and it is my turn to nod. “Great, Here’s the sheet and I’ll start, okay. I’ll show you how to play it once and then I’ll teach you how to play it. Got it?” I nod again and she smiles encouragingly. “Just keep in mind what I told you before, okay?”

That said, she looks at the sheet and starts playing the song, the melody even more beautiful as it is only piano and when she starts singing, I swear I get shivers going down my spine. I sing the next part and she doesn’t expect my addition to the song, but she remains quiet as I sing.