Chapter 38 ~ Hannah

Chapter 38 ~ Hannah 

Against all the odds, being with Harry is so easy. Natural. It’s like after stopping myself for so long, I can finally be free and express all that I have inside. When I’m with him, I don’t feel like I have to control myself and my reactions, no matter what I do, it’s going to be okay. If I hug him, he is happy and hugs me back. If I steal a kiss, he steals one from me. If I poke him, he attacks me later –good thing I’m not that ticklish. If I rest my head on his shoulder, he wraps his arm around me, keeping me closer. If I smile at him for no apparent reason, he smiles back.

It has been a few days since I let my walls down and we got together. I haven’t seen him much because he spends a lot of time in the studio, finishing the new album, so I use that time to study and practice for our performance with Max, that way when he has a little free time, I’m free as well. Dad and Savannah are really happy for me, and for my relationship with Harry, but the happiest is Sheila. When I told her, she cried. I’m not exaggerating, she grabbed me in her arms and cried.

“I knew he was the right lad. From the moment I saw him, I knew he could help you. I’m so happy for you, Hannah!” She told me that day when I gave her the news. I think she also cried that day because for the first time since Mum died, I hugged her back.

Valentine’s day is coming and Savannah has asked me if I’m going to give Harry something, but I feel it’s too soon, I’m not sure. Certainly, I lost practice in the art of giving presents to the boy you’re with. But I was playing with Hope the other day, thinking out loud when it came to me what I could give him for Valentine’s Day. Sadly, just the day before Valentine’s, he called me saying that during that day he is going to be extra busy, so I told him I’m busy too and I don’t have time so he won’t feel bad about it.

I tell myself it’s okay, Valentine’s day is nothing special, just a day like any other. I’ve spent many of those days alone, this is not big deal. But it is, because this year I’m with someone I really care about and just thinking that while everyone who is in a relationship is with that special someone, I’m alone studying.

That’s why I’m surprised when I hear the bell after dinner, when I’m about to shower and go to bed. Dad already said goodnight and went to sleep and I’m not expecting Savannah. With curiosity running in my veins, I go down the stairs and open the door just to find Harry smiling at me sheepishly. Surprise hits me, I was definitely not expecting him.

“Harry?” I ask quickly. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to ask you, even if the day is almost over… would you be my valentine, Hannah?” Harry asks with his lovely smile, his dimples showing off, and his curls in every direction due to the wind that is blowing. His nose is as red as his cheeks and I know he is freezing there. Then he takes a bouquet of roses from behind.

My mouth forms a perfect O in surprise, the fact that he is at my door is already incredible, but this? I don’t have words.

When I recover, I smile at him taking the roses as I say, “come in before you freeze to death, Harry Boy-band,” as I hold out my hand for him to take. He does, tangling our fingers together, his are cold but he seems to not mind, because he smiles back at me as we walk in.

Once he is inside, I close the door and being careful with the roses, I step closer kissing his lips softly. His smile is even wider when I pull back. “Should I take that as a yes?” He asks and I giggle.

“Definitely. Now come with me so we can put the roses in a vessel. Thank you for this, Harry. They are lovely,” I add sniffing the roses. I’ve never gotten roses before, and these are just perfect. “I thought you were busy today, I wasn’t expecting to see you. Not that I’m complaining or anything,” I say as we walk towards the kitchen, I’m still holding his hand and slowly his fingers are warming up.