Chapter 11: Mark

For the next week they all tried enjoying themselves but still couldn't turn off what happened the other night.

Kennedy's family decided to stay over for some more time but the three got onto a train and headed for the intersection.

A while later they arrived at their first stop.

Kennedy's head was somewhere else when someone walked up to her and gave her a warm hug.

She hugged the person back feeling startled until the person let her go revealing their cute smile.

"Oh Alcott." Kennedy chuckled trying not to sound tired.

"Are you ok you sound different?" Alcott looked at her concerningly while rubbing her cheek with his thumb.

"Yeah I'm perfectly fine." Kennedy nodded her head gently.

"Are you sure?" Alcott lifted her face up by the chin.

"I promise." Kennedy smiled widely.

Alcott was convinced and leaned in for a soft kiss.

"Bleh" Theodore looked away in disgust.

"You gotta get used to it Theo." Ezbern gently hit him on the back with his elbow as his hands still warmed up inside his pockets.

"Let's hope I can make it through their relationship." Theodore slapped a hand on Ezbern's shoulder making them walk forward.

They all arrived back at the Academy. She decided to go see the principal at the end of the day and headed to her classes.

She headed to Kinesiology getting changed into her P.E uniform.

It was just like her uniform but a jersey and shorts or pants.

Just as Professor Vidkun was about to begin the class, Mr Jonni interrupted.

He whispered something to the teacher. Professor Vidkun nodded and quickly gave a blank glance at Kennedy before speaking aloud.

"I have some important business to attend to however you will be on your best behaviour while I am gone." Professor Vidkun explained that everyone was just expected to do some simple exercises with a partner who the teacher put them with.

"Jaynie and Duvessa, Kim and Philip." He started pairing everyone up.

"Theo and Alcott." Theo scoffed. "Ezbern and Kennedy, and Seffika and Blaide." The professor clapped indicating to begin and left.

Kennedy and Ezbern just did some hi-five sit-ups. Ezbern put his knees on Kennedy's feet as he held up one hand. Kennedy began doing her sit-ups and clapping her hand with Ezbern's when she came up.

"So how's the hand?" Ezbern asked.

"It feels numb." Kennedy furrowed her eyebrows not really understanding the feeling.

"What exactly happened?" Ezbern was still unsure what happened that night.

"I don't know myself but it felt like the blood in my hand was being sucked out and my nerves were being pulled." Kennedy remembered the sudden shock she felt that night.

Ezbern didn't know how to respond.

Kennedy laid on the ground with her hands tucked under her head watching the clouds walk across the sky.

"What's wrong Phirelis? Too tired?" Kennedy and Ezbern turned to see Blaide doing push-ups with Seffika sitting on top of him.

"Shut up Blaide." Ezbern disgustingly scrunched his eyes looking away.

They looked over to see Theodore refusing to do warm-ups with Alcott.

Later on in the day they sat in Historiography as the teacher started talking about a rather interesting topic.

"All people with powers have a mark, on their wrists. It cannot be seen by normal human beings." Professor Eladio walked around the classroom with his hands behind his back.

"These marks are given the day you get moonswinded." Kennedy looked down at her desk confused. She'd only received hers a few days before coming to the Academy.

Kennedy raised her hand.

"Yes Miss Caddelle?" The professor turned to her.

"What if you receive it, later on in your life..? Like maybe 25 Years later?" Kennedy thought she sounded stupid but the professors eyes narrowed at the question.

"That's a discussion for another day." Professor walked back up to he front of the classroom.

"But sir I want to know." Kennedy insisted he'd tell the class.

The professor looked around the class to see interested eyes staring at him.

"Well.." He started. "You might aswell say those powers do not belong to you."

Everyone started whispering hearing that.

"This is the first time this is being discussed in a classroom..." Professor Eladio's shoes taped against the wood. "Magic is something many people want. It's powerful and even evil..."

"When non-magic humans find out there are people with such powers, they want it." Professor Eladio looked sternly at everyone. "But everything comes with a price. To take somebodies powers, they must be defeated, in other words... dead..."

"And the only case which when people have received their mark after a long period of time... There is only one reason, those powers were stolen..." Kennedy gulped.

She felt sweat dripping from her forehead.

"However we will move on from that, turn to page 67." The professor tapped a ruler on his lectern.

During dinner, they all sat eating food like usual, when the boys noticed Kennedy was zoning out a lot more than usual.

"Kenn you've barely touched your food is everything ok?" Theodore asked making her snap out of her thoughts.

"Uh yeah sorry..." She picked up a piece of food onto her fork and ate it up, rather slowly.

"Ok this isn't normal what's going on?" Ezbern dropped his cutlery and crossed his arms over the table.

Kennedy sighed before telling them. "Do you guys know why I asked Professor Eladio that question?"

The boys shook their heads.

"Because it happened to me..." She swallowed.

"Y-you killed someone?" Theodore blinked twice in fear.

"Theodore! Kennedy isn't that kind of person." Ezbern elbowed him hard.

"I didn't kill anyone but I think I stole the powers from my best friend who died 3 years ago." Kennedy thought about the day when she visited her grave. She felt the same shock in her hands when she touched that globe.

"But how? You didn't kill her so how could you have taken her powers, also because it was 2 years after she died. And how do you know she had powers?" Theodore lowered his voice leaning over the table.

"I don't know." Kennedy sighed putting her head on the table. She missed her best friend.

"She's thinking too much already stop asking her so many questions." Ezbern rolled his eyes when Theodore argued he was just trying to help her figure out the problem.

"Eat up sweetie let's get you to bed before you pass out here." Ezbern chuckled.

Kennedy tiredly chuckled before eating up her food.