6. The leatherback turtle

''Where's the sword ?'' Bang sak asked Yeon who was back from his endeavour.
''Here.'' The gumiho showed the sword but pulled it back when Bang sak tried to take it.
''You cheated, right ?''
''What do you mean ?'' Bang sak asked acting clueless.
''This raffle box, you messed with it.'' Yeon said but the other blatantly denied.
''There was a total of 44 marbles in there. But every single one had 'Ulturi's sword' written on it. Do I look like a fool ?''

''If you knew, why did you get the sword ?''
''Same reason as you. You lied about wanting to die. You just wanted to destroy this sword.'' Yeon made clear that he was not falling for anymore tricks.
''I've been living off human beings life spans. I make them turn back just by three days and they return to their normal old selves. And I leave the place as if I never existed.'' Bang sak came clean about his tricks.
''But you can't kill me anyway, your brother is my hostage.''

Y/n

''What do you mean he stole your gifts ?'' Juk hyang asked me. It feels so weird her relaying everything in informal speech to me. Not that im complaining at a time like this.
''Well I---'' I cant tell Rang, I will have to choose my words carefully.
''I can see spirits. And now given that im not able to see you, he definitely stole my... powers.'' It suddenly got too silent after I said that. Juk hyang was just nodding looking at probably Rang.

''What's going on ?'' I asked when Juk Hwang opened her eyes after a few seconds.
''It's me Rang.'' Juk hyang spoke. Wait-- what ?
''Rang, did-- you possessed her ?''
''Yeah, it's easier this way.'' He's saying that so casually.
''Did you ask her ?'' He did not just roll his eyes.
''Y/n, remember what you kept saying earlier ?'' Im not gonna say much about the pause after he called my name. I understand he must be really overwhelmed right now, after all I suddenly popped out of nowhere in front of him.
''What ?''
''Time is running.'' This guy, seriously--

''So, you were saying ?''
''I think he had already taken your powers before Yeon came.'' Yeah, maybe Rang is right.
''I barely held hands with him for a second. He was quick.'' To anyone asking, yes im imagining Rang's pouty face.
''Ahm, but how did he do what he did ? I mean he gives people his life span and takes them back too ? There must be a loophole in his fake generosity.'' I said shifting our focus to a topic of utmost importance.

''He's one of the ten longevity symbols, a leather back turtle.'' So Rang figured it out.
''A turtle who has no plans of dying. He's going to destroy the only weapon that can kill him. Rang, we need to tell Yeon.''
''Okay, let's go.'' But if this is what he's been planning all along--
''Wait. You're not safe either, I mean your body. Let's split. I'll go make sure you're safe and you should find Yeon.'' I said as I started to walk away when Rang called for me.

''Y/n, be careful.'' I smiled as I nodded.
''You too.''

I walked to the room and I could hear nothing. It's unusually quiet in there. Good for me. I knocked on the door twice.
''Who's there ?'' A voice asked from inside. I gave no reply, and knocked again after a few seconds. One of them came out as he closed the door behind him. He walked to his left to see if anyone was there, that's my cue. I hit him with the thick wooden stick on the back of his head as hard as I could.
One down.

That actually felt good and bad. Because I know how much that hurts. I drag this unconscious one a little further near a tree. Yeah, that's a good spot. I went back near the room to see they had all come out to look for that one guy. I knew they would all come together like penguins if one of them goes missing. Now they can take their time playing treasure hunt.

I walk in the room, locking the doors, just in case. Im just stalling time to keep Rang safe, until Yeon is done with that turtle. I look at Rang who's laying infront of me, as I sat besides him. What kind of life was he living after I died ? He has been acting surprisingly normal but I know how hard he tries to not show what he feels.

I feel like I kind of made it more difficult for him suddenly showing up. Because according to him, im not supposed to be here, reincarnated and stuff. And now i'll leave again, I hope I don't make it worse for him.

The loud bangings on the door made me pull myself out from my thoughts. They're back pretty soon. I got on my feet, as they in seconds broke through the door. Maybe I should have used the night shade plant on them.
''C'mon, let's make up for the gym I missed today.'' I strengthened my grip on Rang's weapon that I picked up from beside him a moment ago. I've been secretly training, you know.

They started walking forward in a fast pace but before I could do anything an invisible force had them all on the ground. I turned to see Rang standing behind me with his classic smirk plastered on his face which transformed into a soft smile when his gaze landed on mine.

I walked to him, thanking the deities in my heart that he was alright.
''Are you---'' Before I could complete my sentence of concern he pulled me in his warm embrace. I'd been meaning to do this for a while myself but I didn't want to confuse him by revealing my identity.

After a few seconds when we pulled away, we saw the 'disciples' turn back to their old self. Does that mean my powers are back too ? They probably are.

''That belongs to me.'' Rang said pointing towards his weapon in my hands.
''Yeah, well you stole my spotlight. I couldn't use it.'' I said smiling as I handed it back to him as he softly stares at me.
''What are you looking at ?''
''Your smile.''
''Ah, we should go to Yeon.'' I said clearing my throat as we walked out, Rang behind me.

''Yeon, are you alright ?'' I asked as we sprinted to him.
''Yeah, what about you ? Did you get your gifts back ?'' I nodded.
''Rang, you should go and get changed. Let's leave.'' Rang left without any arguing as he glanced back at me once.
''Yeon, what happened ?''
''The sun is rising y/n. The hour of the tiger is over and the gate is closed.''