20. The foundling

''So you guys are saying you found this child on the stairs in front of Myoyeongak ?'' Y/n asked doubtfully eyeing Shin ju and Yeon.
''What else ? Do you think it's Shin ju's child ?''
''Now what ? You're going to take care of her ?'' Rang asked Yeon eyeing the baby.
''I already have a lot on my plate with you.''
''I hate human children.'' Rang exclaimed as y/n shook her head at his act.

''You liar. Soo ho liked you the most. And Sarang--''
''Saranghae !'' Y/n spoke, invisibly covering Shin ju's mouth passing him panicked looks.
''What the--''
''Just forget all this. Take it to the baby box.'' Yeon cut off Rang following the interruption cycle.
''There's nothing like that here.''
''Why dont we have our guys sell it ?''
''Rang, say something you can actually do.'' Y/n gave him a straight look to shut up.

''Are you hungry ? You want some munchies ?'' Shin ju was busy in his own world with the baby talking.
''Off you go, i'll go buy some baby formula and diapers.'' Shin ju said handing the baby to Yeon.
''I'll come along since im the only expert here.''

Shin ju was quiet behind y/n because he was carrying all the things they bought, so y/n entered back in the room first.
''But you can't tell y/n.''
''Yeon cant tell me what, Rang ?''
''Nothing.''
''You two didn't do anything, right ?'' Y/n asked taking a seat beside Rang near the child because Yeon was standing away still startled by y/n's sudden entrance.

''Wait, what is this smell.'' Y/n asked scrunching her brows as Yeon and Rang shared anxious looks.
''Yeon, what are you hiding behind your back ?'' Y/n peeked behind Yeon and snatched the bottle he was hiding.
She sniffed the brim of the bottle which widened her eyes.
''How did you guys make her sleep, again ?''
''It was Rang's doing !'' Yeon immediately pointed his fingers to the culprit.

''Are you kidding me ?! You made a child drink makgeolli ? And Yeon what were you doing when this happened ? You guys--- Seriously ?'' Y/n would continue to lecture them more but Shin ju sprinted in the room alarmingly.
''Emergency ! It's an emergency !''
''What's all the fuss about ?''
''Madam Ryu is back. She wants to see you. The both of you need to take the baby and go hide. If we get caught we'll get kicked out.'' He instructed y/n and Rang.

Rang cleared his throat as he walked alongside y/n who was still upset about what he did back at Myoyeongak.
''If you have something to say, just speak.'' Y/n said stopping in her tracks facing Rang. After seconds of silence he spoke,
''I just made her drink a little bit.'' He said choosing his words precisely but there was no change in y/n's expression.
''She wouldn't stop crying so I just put her to sleep. Think of it as a medicine.'' He said with a weird smile as y/n shook her head in despair.

''Rang, it could be dangerous for her health. She's just a child. Yeon said they found her alone on the stairs. It could be that her parents lost her but there are chances she's an abandoned child. They just left her there cause they didnt want her. I know that you all don't want her to stay with us as we could all be ousted from Myoyeongak because of it. But i'd take that risk. So tell me, what do you side with ?''

''You. I side with you.'' Rang had always been calculative about whom he trusts, jotting the pros and cons in mind he would always make a choice beneficial for him. No matter what other people would tell him about the right and wrong, it would never affect how he would do things. Truth, he didnt even listen. But everytime y/n speaks, every word that comes out of her mouth had a humongous impact on him. It made him curious, interested in things he wasn't before. The soft contact she maintained with his eyes, cleared the mist of thoughts for him, reminding him of himself.

''Alright.'' Y/n said calmly with a slight smile.
''But why would they abandon her ? There seems to be nothing wrong with her.'' Rang said taking a peek at the kid who was half awake now.
''Maybe they left her because she's special. People usually turn away from things that are beyond their understanding. The baby looks quite special to me. Especially the moles on her forehead.'' Y/n said tracing the spots.
''Its the big dipper. Yeon said its an asterism that controls death. But it also means to bring wealth.''
''See, told you she's special.'' Y/n said as the child smiled at her. Their attention was soon drawn to a distance where the baby turned her head then pointed her hand in the direction.

''Looks like she wants to go there.'' Rang spoke decoding the baby's actions. Y/n was still skeptical but decided to walk further with them anyway.
''What is going on here ?'' She asked looking at the crowd of people surrounding a table, putting money on it.
''They are gambling.'' Rang replied knowing what it was in the first glance. They were about to leave when the child pointed her hand to the direction of the gambling choice. To y/n and Rang's surprise she had pointed out the correct one.

''What in the world--- how did you know that was the correct one ?'' Rang talked to the baby as if she would reply. But the duo were beyond surprised when every single choice that the infant made turned to be accurate.
''You were right y/n. This child is indeed very special.''

A/N

Hey guys....
I know i've made a lot of y'all anxious but that's how things turned out. I was supposed to finish all my pending work and continue regular updates after the 27th but I caught a flu and was on bed rest.

Resulting in, I couldn't even let you all know of the delay in the story. I feel regretful about that. Im slowly recovering and am as eager as you guys to lead the story further. I dont know what happened but it's just like obstacles were standing in the way of me updating the story, one thing after other.

This is just so you guys know, im here and im not going anywhere. And i'll try my best to update as soon as possible.
Take care of yourselves.

- Authornim