17. Giving in

Author

Y/n turned around a few seconds later of Rang's gaze falling on her. Not being able to take it anymore, she started walking away when Yeon caught up with her.
''Y/n !'' He called out matching pace with her.
''Since everyone is alright, im going back. I'll catch a terrible cold tonight.'' Y/n said trying her best not to choke on her words.
''I'll come with you.'' Yeon said then looked back and signalled Shin ju to come with Rang after they leave, since the younger was still frozen in his thoughts.

The two reached Myoyeongak and y/n didnt utter a word the whole way. She silently went to her room to freshen up. She later stepped out after rough fifteen minutes when all the lights in Myoyeongak were dimmed and she presumed everyone was in their rooms, sleeping.
She walked around, then paused her steps to gaze at the moonlit sky.
''Beautiful isn't it ? It's a full moon today.'' Y/n didn't get startled at Yeon's presence near her. Her mind was too far into different things to even get surprised.

''It looks lonely without the stars. It's a cloudy sky tonight.'' She replied in a melancholic voice still staring at the sky.
''Y/n, im sorry I was a little late. I should've come sooner.'' Yeon said finally making her look at him.
''You came. No one got hurt and you're alright. Everything's alright. That's what matters.''
''Are you sure everything's alright ?'' Y/n stayed silent for a good while then spoke,
''I know...... I know that whatever happens here wont change the reality, the future. And the reality is Rang and I are married, we have Sarang and Soo ho...... But the Rang here is alone. He is confused and broken. So if he gets a person to rely on, even if its not me, should I.....
Let things flow as they are for them ?'' She spoke, her voice quavering.

''So are you going to give up on him so easily ?''
''What ?''
''I know that Rang and you both went through hell to come together. But Rang never gave you up to somebody else. He would never. Even when you had no recollection of your past memories or him. Be it that human co worker Do hwa or a demon like Imoogi, he refused to just let things flow for you and them. So y/n, how can you just give up on him and give the mermaid a happily ever after ? Are you here to do that ? If Rang was here, and you were in this situation with someone would he just leave you at the hands of that guy ? What would he do ?''
....
....
''He wouldn't let that happen.''

''Right, he would probably plan his funeral in advance.'' Yeon said making y/n break a smile.
''Okay maybe I went a little overboard with the funeral but yeah. Now tell me, what are you going to do ?''
''I have more time in how I want things to turn out like, about Rang knowing about y/n. But, I won't give up on him so easily.''
''That's right ! That's the spirit. Now you sound like my sister.'' Y/n finally let out a genuine chuckle at Yeon's cheering.
''Also y/n, you're forgetting that if its Rang, be it any year or era, he'll always love you. A gumiho only loves one person until the end of time.''

''He said that during our marriage vows.'' She said, a reminiscent smile plastered on her face.
''Also, now that I think about it, you had Rang back pretty easily. While he was competing with demons from both worlds for you. The biggest obstacle, granny. Do you know how difficult it is to convince her about something, given the fact that she didn't like Rang since the first day. It's only fair you work as hard as he did.''
''Whose side are you on, Orabeoni ?''
''Doesnt matter. If im on Rang's side that means im on yours too and vice versa.''
''Wow, how clever of you.'' Y/n shook her head giving the older a playful stare until the two end up laughing.

''Thank you, for saying all that you said. I guess I really needed that.''
''I told you, im a genuine supporter of your pair.''
''Now go and get some rest, it's been a long day.'' Yeon patted the younger's head as she headed to her room.
''A gumiho and a human aren't meant to be. It's not the ideal pair, in Granny's words. Neither were y/n and Rang but they fought against fate. I had never before seen the red threads on the both of them in the past. But I saw them when they got married. And I saw them again today, near the well. The red threads in Rang's hands were connected with y/n's.''

Y/n was kind of at ease after the conversation with Yeon, and maybe that was the reason why she slipped into slumber rocking on the arm chair in her room. She didnt realise she hadn't locked the door, and theres no way she could hear Rang come in because she was already in dreamland.

Lee Rang

I walk towards the door of y/n's room. It doesnt feel as weird now to call her y/n. I don't know what changed. I knocked once on the door but it opened by itself. She didn't lock the door ? I don't even know what im going to say to her. But then again, I don't know what to say or think when it's her.
Im... Just going to check on her. Since everything that happened, it might-- whatever, I don't even know my words. Right, im just going to ask if she's alright....
That is if im able to speak anything.

I walk inside with soft steps, her room is so much better than ours. I look towards my left to find her asleep in the arm chair. My feet take me closer to her, I cant help it, my eyes always find a way to her. She looks so peaceful right now, opposite to her expression earlier.

Why does she do things that confuse me more and more ? I was dying in the well, unconscious. I dreamed about her even in that moment, I saw her face, even though it was for a second or two, I felt like even if I died in there I would be at peace. It was only when I got out of the well and saw her standing further from me all soaked, I realized it wasn't a dream. She saved me.

Why would she jump in that well ? Why would she risk her own life just to save mine ? And when I came back to consciousness, why didnt she tell me that it was her who saved me ?

That expression on her face, when she turned her back on me and walked away leaving me with the mermaid, it felt like someone stabbed me in my heart. How does she have so much control over me ? Why do I keep getting drawn towards her ?
Is she just someone who looks like y/n or there's something more to it ?

Y/n fluttered her eyes open, looking at me with wide eyes. Probably because my face is too close to hers.
''Rang, you're still awake ?'' I just looked her in her eyes hoping she wont stand up or ask me to leave. I don't want to take one step away from her.
''Rang, are you alright ?'' She asked me. No, I don't think im alright.
''I think i'll be, after this. I'll be ready for the consequences later.''
''What ?'' She hadn't completed her question when I crashed my lips onto her. I tried my best to maintain my distance since the day I saw her. But I cant seem to do that anymore.

There's a certain pull between us. No matter how hard I try to not think about her, treat her like I treat everybody else, I cant help but listen to her every word, do everything and anything she asks of me. Im supposed to be scared of this but....
Im not.

I was going to pull away from her but SHE KISSED ME BACK.
My heart flipped, now there's no going back. Her arms wrapped around me as I lifted her from the chair, now standing in front of each other leaving no distance. My hand wrapped around her waist and the other caressing her face. Is this supposed to be wrong ? Cause I don't feel any guilt. We slowly pull away, locking eyes.
''I need to stop for now or I wont be able to leave.''

A/N

......
......
I---
.....
Let me catch a breathe.....

There's just inches in between us
I want you to give in, I want you to give in~

Ahm--
A chapter for all those who were worried about the mermaid love triangle.