27. Jang san beom

''Yeon, I think it's the red-- Moo yeong. Did you see the expression on his face ? Im sure he's after the disappearance of Hong joo-ssi too.'' Y/n said trailing after Yeon who was examining the floor.
''Well, let's see.'' Yeon called out Moo yeong, sharing the information he found out with him and y/n.
''The salt has turned black. It's not an ordinary ghost.'' He interpreted.
''Hong joo-ssi is a mountain god. A normal ghost cant take her.'' Y/n added as Moo yeong spoke after,
''It's a demon, one that's lived much longer than us.''

''We should tell everyone in Myoyeongak not to leave their rooms until the rooster crows.'' Y/n nodded,
''I already told Rang and Shin ju-ssi to spread the word.''
''But how and why would a demon enter here ?'' Y/n said giving Moo yeong a tough look that broke soon as Shin ju and Rang entered the frame.
''We found a witness.'' Shin ju said holding a cat.
''What is she saying ?'' Yeon asked to the cat's meowing.
''It came in hidden among the new gisaengs, wearing old sandals.''
''There were supposed to be six candidates but Juk hyang said she counted seven. Now that makes a lot of sense. The gisaengs came around early afternoon. I asked the others if anything unusual happened today. Juk hyang experienced a few scares, and the soybean, red pepper and soy, almost all of the pastes went bad all together. It's a pretty strong demon. But what is it ?'' Y/n asked. Shin ju stayed silent for a moment, pulling himself out of the fright before answering.

''Jang san beom.''
''Jog my memory.'' Y/n was the only one who didnt have any strong reaction towards the name reveal.
''Its a tiger demon who can mimic human voices.'' Rang answered.
''Does that mean it wasn't you who told Yeon to attack us when we were on the other side of the door ?'' Y/n stated her first priority.
''What have I been saying since earlier ?'' Moo yeong gave her a frustrated look.
''Hong joo doesn't have much time and we know nothing about him.''
''Let's find a way to catch him first.''

''I have an idea.'' Y/n raised her hand.
''Go on.''
''We should play the corner game again. It--''
''NO.'' Rang interrupted y/n.
''What ?''
''I know what you're talking about.''
''You didn't even let me complete my sentence. I was saying, it seems that the demon specifically targets women, since the only people missing are Eun ho-ssi and Hong joo-ssi.''
''So you want to play the bait.'' Rang said with a straight face making y/n speechless for a few moments.
''It sounds different if you state it like that.'' Y/n spoke in her defense.

''We don't have time for your lovers quarrel. I need to find a way, now.'' Moo yeong snapped, furiously leaving the conversation and place.
''We still have four people even if he left.'' Y/n said earning a sigh from Rang.
''Y/n....''
''Alright, strike that out.''

•••

''Meet her. She's the sole person who returned alive from Jang san beom's grasp.'' Doo mok introduced an old woman to the brothers and y/n.
''How'd you manage to find her ?'' Y/n asked.
''Don't even get me started. I had to convince this guy to let me borrow his men.'' Yeon said pointing to the ever nonchalant Rang.
''At a high cost, I assume.''
''Moo yeong's blood.''
''I want that too.'' Y/n thought.
''Drops of Moo yeong's blood, y/n.'' Yeon said reading y/n's mind.

Y/n cleared her throat,
''Granny, were you caught by Jang san beom ?''
''My sisters, just the four of us.'' The old woman replied holding four fingers up.
''It was the winter solstice. The night grew long, so we played the corner game and--''
''Just cut to the chase.'' Yeon got impatient.
''I spoke out loudly. By mistake.''
''So where did he take you ?''
''I couldn't see because it was so dark.'' The three of them groaned.

''Aside from me, many maidens were taken by him.''
''Maidens ?'' The granny had everyone intrigued again.
''I hear they were all his wives.''
''Ah ! So y/n was right that he only takes women--'' Yeon paused when he felt goosebumps, looking beside, he saw Rang giving y/n a stare referencing to her enthusiasm the previous night for being caught by the demon.

''So how did you come back ?'' Y/n asked avoiding looking anywhere near Rang's direction.
''I followed Ttotto.''
''What's Ttotto ?'' Yeon made a face.
''...... I dont remember.''
''Aish--''
''But I did see Jang san beom. Give me a brush and paper, i'll show how he looks.'' The grandma made some strokes and did not take long in returning the paper back.
''Is this a butt ? What is this ?'' Yeon asked pointing to the black animal like sketch near the weird figure he called a butt.
''Our Ttotto.''
''This is Ttotto ?''
''It looks like a cat.'' Y/n assumed.

''A stray cat gave birth to Ttotto in front of my house. It would follow me everywhere.'' The grandma said.
''So it is a cat.'' Yeon gave y/n a thumbs up.
''Cats can see ghosts too. Maybe it can lead us to the demon, pave the way to that world.'' Y/n concluded.

After Sunset,

''What's that ?'' Y/n asked pointing to some wooden weapons near Yeon.
''Moo yeong got it. It's made out of the duduri tree. It'll help us catch the demon.''
''If you go in, you might not get out. Just send your friend.'' Rang, who was sitting opposite Yeon spoke abruptly.
''I agree with Rang, Yeon. You know how I feel about this whole situation. Isn't it ironic that as soon as he came back, a demon showed up in Myoyeongak ?''
''I have to go.'' Yeon was firm in his decision.
''I know you want to go for Hong joo-ssi. She's your friend, ofcourse you want to save her. But still....'' Y/n didn't know what else to say to convince him.
''Take me, not Cheon Moo yeong.'' Rang proposed a deal.
''I can go with anyone but you. And y/n.'' He added before the latter could insist on her participation.
''How could I send you guys to your death ?''

''Then Rang and I can go. That's better, right ?''
''That sounds good to me.'' The gumiho in question agreed.
''Yah, you two ! Im the elder here.''
''Then do you trust him ?'' Rang raised an important question which led y/n to think that even he thought something was off about Moo yeong, even though he didnt know that Moo yeong is red-white mask.
''An old friend or what not, that was centuries ago.''
''I have a strong suspicion he was the one who brought that demon here.'' Y/n didnt code her words.
''I still want to trust him.''
''And what if this is a trap, which we both think is ?'' Rang said including y/n.
''Atleast we'll know what Moo yeong wants from me.''

A/N

Hey everyone ! How's everyone been ? I've been meaning to ask this for a while, has anyone read 'The hunger games' ? Is it worth it ? I want to give it a read but im skeptical.