38. Goodbye letters

''What are you doing ?'' Y/n said taking a seat near Yeon as she bent closer to the paper he was writing on.
''Writing a letter.'' He replied not looking up as he continued with his task.
''To....?''
''Me.''
''What ?'' Y/n's expression turned normal pretty quickly as she leaned closer before looking around.
''You're writing a letter to Yeon Orabeoni of 1938, am I right ?'' Yeon hummed in reply.

''What's the content ? If you can tell me.''
''Im asking him to leave his opium addiction behind and get grasp of the real world, to come and take care of Rang, to protect him.'' Warmth embraced y/n's heart as she admired and appreciated Yeon's actions. She thought there wouldn't be anyone by Rang's side cause she had forgotten about the Yeon of this era. But.....
''But why would he come reading this letter now when he's neglected everything since so long ?'' Y/n put forth a justified question.
''There will be an information that'll make him.'' Yeon smiled, afterall who else knew himself so well.

''And what did you do ?'' Yeon asked shifting his expression to narrowing his brows.
''What do you mean by that ?''
''I saw the mermaid near Myoyeongak with Rang. Dont tell me you are playing cupid for them or something.''
''Yeon ! I mean, Orabeoni ! Why would I do that ?'' Y/n said getting offended.
''Who knows, you're quite a social worker.'' Yeon murmured.
''Anyway, I just had them talk and clear things up. Why would I be a matchmaker for them....''
''Because you wouldn't want Rang to be left alone even if it came at a cost of your choices or happiness.''
''That's right, I didn't. Therefore I found another way. It's all good, dont worry.''

''Unnie ! Y/n unnie !'' Juk hyang's loud and panicked calls caught y/n & Yeon's attention as the kid ran towards them.
''What happened Juk hyang ? Is everything alright ?''
''Madam just got a letter, Jae yoo-ssi & Yeo hee Unnie are being held hostage.'' Juk hyang said catching her breath.
''What ? It's him isn't it ?'' Y/n looked at Yeon.
''Aha, I was thinking of paying him a visit anyway.''
''Alright, I'll go see Hong joo-ssi.''

Y/n rushed towards Hong joo's room where she'd also find Rang, according to Juk hyang. She pushed the door open to see Rang and Hong joo in a discussion.
''How'd this happen ?'' She asked coming to the point immediately.
''My assumption, he wants the treasures.'' Rang replied.
''What else was in the letter ?''
''Someone is going to pay us a visit.''

There was a knock on the door as it opened, Akira Saito entered in.
''Here he is, the governor general's minion.'' Rang said as the three sat down before Akira.
''Skip the 'we have your people as hostage' part and save the time.'' Y/n said as soon as the chief sat down.
''That's nice for me too. The thing is you can save only one of them. Only one can live.''
''What ?'' Hong joo exclaimed.
''You heard right.''
''What do you want ?''
''Fight the fox and retrieve the treasure. Whoever comes first gets their hostage. Dont Josean pricks fight each other all the time anyway.'' Rang was ready to charge at the guy but y/n held him back.

''Let Jae yoo go, he has nothing to do with this.'' Hong joo tried negotiating with Akira.
''We gave you so many chances but you stabbed us in the back everytime.
But most of all, I really wanted to see that expression.'' And the result of his too much talking was a punch in the face by the mountain god that made him fly across the room.
''I dont think you guys have time for this. Get started or lose the hostages.'' With that he left the room hissing with pain.

''You know where the treasure is, huh ?'' Hong joo asked Rang which made y/n look at her wide eyed as she couldn't keep her silence,
''What do you mean by that Hong jo-ssi ?''
''You're willing to betray Yeon ?'' Rang asked.
''Im all Jae yoo has. That's how Jindo's are. Foolishly serving one owner for a life time, enduring everything, believing i'll come for him.''
''We can still find a way to save both Yeo hee and Jae yoo-ssi. Why dont you even want to try taking a different path ?'' Y/n was replied with a strong look from Hong joo.

''And to add to it, Yeon cant go home without the stone.'' Rang said breaking Hong joo's stare on y/n.
''Let's be honest. Dont you and I benefit from that ? I want Yeon to stay. Be truthful Rang, don't you want y/n to stay back. You dont want her to leave do you ?'' Y/n and Rang were both caught by surprise as to how Hong joo knew about her identity. Rang would have shared a look with y/n if only he wasn't feeling guilty for having a thought about making y/n stay back, he had almost proved Hong joo right.
''What ? How did I know ?'' Hong joo asked reading y/n's face.
''You keep forgetting y/n, I am a mountain god. Perhaps that is why you don't think twice before going against me, that is why you keep arguing with me and fighting my opinions. You're being too brave for a human with a limited life span.'' Hong joo said taking steps towards y/n trying to intimidate her.
''You're right, maybe because i've knocked deaths door too many times I do not find speaking up for the right things frightening than going with the thoughtless words of a mountain god who is neglecting her first and foremost duty of protecting lives of the innocent.''

Sound of applause catches the attention of the three in the room as Yeon enters dramatically as always.
''Wow, finally a showdown. Hong joo, you've found yourself a competition.''
''How long have you been listening to us ?''
''Dont worry, I didnt listen to much.'' ''Just from you asking where the treasure is.'' Yeon added with a cheeky smile.
''Since you know what I said, do you disagree ?'' Y/n asked Yeon.
''I dont. So i'll repeat what y/n said in my language. Pick one, either get played on their grill and become barbecued meat or turn that grill over together.''