Chapter 1

"We on for tonight?" he whispered, as he fought to keep the space between them, the back of his hand lightly grazing her forearm, "you know you want too" Adam smirked at her.

She glanced around quickly, no one else was around, she moved in kissed him her hands on his belt buckle "that was a preview" she said when they parted "give me an hour, we have one more stop" Kim said as she turned and walked away.

He laughed as she left, and headed back upstairs.

"I knew it!" Trudy Platt said from the desk after she walked in on them, both of them oblivious to her presence.

"What do you know?" Erin Lindsay asked her.

"Oh, nothing" she covered, she wasn't about to partake in office gossip.

"This is it, Roman, pull over" Kim said thankful their shift nearly over, tired of listening to Roman and his ex Jen bicker over nonsense.

They went at it again as soon as they stepped out of the patrol car, "hey you two want to knock it off?" She called out neither one hearing her. She was pretty certain they still had feelings for each other but too stubborn to admit it. "Don't worry you two I got this" she told them her voice dripping with sarcasm.

As she approached the door, she glanced in the window it was dark but nothing looked out of the ordinary so she pushed the button for the doorbell.

"You know what Sean, screw you!" Jen yelled.

Sean couldn't believe the attitude Jen had, he was about to tell her how ridiculous she was being when they heard the shot, and saw Kim fall backwards her head bouncing on the concrete steps.

Blood pouring from her abdomen and the back of her head, Sean rushed to the steps "Burgess!" he called out for her, he immediately placed his hands on her stomach applying pressure "Kim, Kim" he tried to get her to respond "call it in!"

Jen radioed for help, "is she breathing" she asked Sean.

"Yea, I'm going in, keep pressure on it" Sean said as he slid Kim further from the door "will you be okay?"

"Go!" Jen told him "the ambo will be here any minute" she told him, guilt taking over they should have been with Kim at the door not fighting like high schoolers.

"Oh my goodness" Trudy said as she took the call "how is she?" She asked her heart racing, she picked on Burgess a lot, but she really liked her.

She saw Jay Halstead come down the stairs "Halstead, go get Voight" she told him.

"What's up?" Jay asked, he just wanted to go home.

"Burgess was shot!" Trudy yelled as she watched Jay rush up the steps.

Adam couldn't believe what he just heard, "what did you say?" He said his voice barely above a whisper " Sarge, what did you say?" He asked again hoping he had heard her wrong.

"Adam, Kim's been shot" she told him, watching as all the color drained from his face and she saw him stumble a little bit placing his hand on the desk to steady himself.

Voight came running downstairs "Ruzek, let's go Burgess has been shot" he said as he raced out the front door glancing back he noticed Ruzek hadn't budged "move it Ruzek, now!"

Adam finally getting his feet to move, his head spinning.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I'm back! This is the way *I* would have written Kim getting shot, I felt they could have shown us Ruzek's reaction and how he found out, so here it is! Once that part is done, I will create my own story.

Thanks for all the positive feedback on 'Broken', I had higher hopes for that one but O sort of wrote myself into a corner and felt best to just wrap it up.

Thanks for reading!

Kristi