Chapter 41

"I want mommy!" Nicky yelled.

Bob picked him up, "I know you do buddy, but you need to sleep." The little guy had fallen asleep hours ago only to wake to use the bathroom and found Deborah crying, he'd been up ever since.

"Mommy!" Nicky repeated, his eyes narrowed and his bottom lip jutting out.

Deborah ran the tissue under her eyes, "Nicholas, come sit with me. I need your sugar" she said softly, her own fears needed to be pushed aside for her grandson.

Bob sighed, "I'm going  to try Adam again, will you be okay?"

Deborah nodded, "Yea, go ahead"

"Ruzek" Adam answered.

"It's me Son, any news?" Bob asked solemnly.

Adam leaned against the patrol car, "Nothing" he wasn't about to tell him he watched those bastards drive off with his wife in their van, "How's Nicholas?"

"Confused" Bob told him, "he woke up a few hours ago and saw Debbie upset, he just knows Kim's in trouble, but we told him you'd save her" Bob swore he could hear Adam choke back a sob.

"What the fuck?" Hank screamed his forearm in Sean's neck, "are you shitting me?" He saw red.

"Woah, Hank let him go!" Al yelled pulling his friend off Sean.

Adam noticed the commotion, "Dad, kiss my son for me. Something is happening, I need to go" he hung up without further explanation and raced over to Hank and Sean.

"I swear, it wasn't supposed to go down like this, no one was supposed to get hurt" Sean said, he struggled with each word.

Adam froze, "What? What...are you saying...Roman?" His gut was telling him something was seriously fucked, that Sean had fucked over his wife in the worst way possible.

"Adam, let's go" Al tried to lead him away from Sean, "He's not worth it"

"Get off me Al" Adam commanded, he approached Sean and violently wrapped  his hand around Sean's neck, "what the fuck are you involved in?"

Sean tried to pry Adam's hand from his neck, "Can't...talk...breathe"

Adam dropped his hand, "Start talking!"

Sean sat on the bench, he knew nothing would be the same once he was finished. He just hoped that Kim would survive that he wouldn't have her blood on his hands.

"It's not something I'm proud of" he started, he could feel the eyes of his colleagues glaring at him, they all knew it was his fault one of their own was in peril.

"Son of a bitch!" Erin punched the dashboard, "they dusted us, how'd they know?"

Antonio rested his head on the headrest, closing his eyes he pinched the bridge of his nose, "call it in, we need everyone looking for that van"

She could hear their celebratory screams, her fear intensifying with each passing minute.

"That was a good catch, Smitty, a damn good catch" he laughed over his shoulder, "how's our friend?"

Adam watched as Jay slapped cuffs on Sean and put him in the back of a waiting patrol car, it had taken Al, Hank, Kevin, and some guy from the SWAT team to get him off Sean and he hated them.

He wanted to watch the life drain from Sean, wanted to see him writhe in pain as he pummeled the shit out of him.

His hand throbbed but it was worth it, his only regret was that Sean was able to walk on his own to the patrol car.

Hank's shoulders slumped, "Alright, keep me posted"

"He sleeping?" Bob asked watching as the sun started to peak above the horizon, "he's a good boy, isn't he?"

She smiled, "the best" she stroked his hair, "Kim has to be okay, he needs his mommy" the tears fell from her eyes.

"Adam's going to bring her home to us, he won't give up on her" Bob held her in his arms.

The cell was cold, he grabbed the thin cotton blanket and pulled it under his chin, his entire body shook from the cold.  The last six months of his life had been a living nightmare, one he caused.

SIX MONTHS EARLIER

"You know what Bethany? Screw you and the high horse you rode in on" Sean was furious who the hell was she to call him out on his life.

They had broken up nearly a year ago, and now here she was trying to tell him how to live his life.

Fuck her.

Bethany grabbed her purse, "Sean, you need help. This" she pointed to the pint of beer in front of him, "and how you're behaving it isn't you, just when did you lose yourself, Sean, when?"

He rolled his eyes and smirked, "I don't know why you care, we've been done a long time, it's none of your concern"

His eyes followed her as she pushed the door open and left.

It all started with a lucky bet on a Cubs game, the rush he got was indescribable he had jokingly declared it better than sex.

He had turned a c note into a grand, it was way too easy.

He sent in his next few bets and smiled, just picturing the money  pouring in.

PRESENT DAY

He rose from the slab they tried to say was a bed and looped his arms through the bars of the cell, how the fuck did he end up here.

"GUARD!" He called out, he needed to know if Kim was okay, she had to be. If she wasn't they wouldn't be able to find a punishment that would make him hurt enough.

The guard sulked down the hallway, he'd drawn the short straw no one wanted this detail.

"What Roman?"

"Kim?...is she...well, is she okay?" His voice soft, Kim was his best friend and he dicked her over in the worst way possible. The fear in her eyes when he left her with that crew haunted him. Her admission of love for her little boy nearly killed him, if that little boy had to grow up without his mother he'd never forgive himself.

"Oh? Now, you care" he shook his in what could only be identified as pure disgust, "She's not, they fled with her. The entire city is looking for her, and you better hope they find her....alive" his words inching their way out from behind clenched teeth, "Ruzek is going to kill you and we'll all turn a blind eye, no one will care"

Sean hung his head and turned to go back to his 'bed', "I'd deserve it" he admitted softly.

Somewhere along the line he ended up in over his head, his winning streak turned into a massive losing streak. He'd gone from carrying a small debt and risked it all on a football game and now he was over 200k in debt.

A debt he couldn't repay.

He thought he had it all figured out when that old man slipped up and told him he didn't trust banks, that his entire life savings was inside the safe behind his bar.

Sean immediately knew what needed to happen and he called his bookie, even offered to be in the restaurant when the heist went down.

He'd be their ticket out, he'd do whatever it took for them to flee the city and his bookie would get the money he owed him and then some.

No one would get hurt, and no one would be the wiser.

It was a perfect plan.

Was

Was being the key word, it was supposed to be quick and clean, no one was to get hurt.

Especially not Kim.