Chapter 30

EIGHT MONTHS EARLIER

"So, I was thinking we can just shoot right up the coast, the PCH" Mike said as he started out of the grocery store parking lot, "so the grandson is crawling, now huh?"

"That's what Kim said, she's complaining that he's into everything, too bad it's just the beginning" she laughed, "Nicholas is just a mini-Adam, the pair of them have way too much energy"

"That they do, I won't lie I had my issues with Adam, but he's really stepped up and proven himself. He's a great dad" he switched lanes, "is that a kid hitchhiking?" He asked when he spotted the girl along the side of the road.

Deborah sat up in the seat "I think it's a teenage girl, stop the RV honey. Let's see if she needs help"

Jade watched as the RV came to a stop a few feet ahead of her, she picked her back pack up and jogged towards the vehicle, "Wow, this is the shit!" She said as the occupants exited the vehicle.

"Kid, what are you doing?"

"I need a ride out of Cali, can you do that?" Jade asked him, she knew she needed to get them further away from the vehicle, she backed up "my dog, he's back here. Can he come too?"

Once she used the 'code' they got out from the bushes, guns drawn, "Listen mister, we're taking that" he pointed to the RV, "looks like you're walking"

Deborah grabbed Mike's arm as he started to rush towards the three guys, "Michael! No!" She screamed.

He shook her off, "You punks aren't taking it, you can have all the cash I have" he pulled his wallet from his back pocket and tossed the bills at them, the money slowly floating to the ground.

As they bent down to pick it up, he kicked one of them in face, the other two quickly attacking, "that was fucking stupid, Michael" he taunted him, before hitting him with the butt of his rifle.

"Please don't!" Deborah yelled trying to get to Mike, Jade holding her back, she looked on in horror as the trio of guys beat Mike with their guns, "please stop, you're hurting him" she sobbed.

"Lady, it didn't have to go down this way, but Michael here decided to be a hero" he spit on Mike's bloodied body, before they picked him up and tossed him into the woods.

"Get in lady!" Jade screamed, "get in that damn RV" she said again when Deborah didn't budge, she pushed her towards the steps.

"Okay!" Deborah sobbed looking over her shoulder, "someone needs to help my husband, he's hurt"

"No shit" Jade laughed, "he should have listened"

The three guys came sprinting from the woods and jumped in the RV, "we gotta go!"

"You need to get in that bedroom!" One of the guys yelled at Deborah, "Jade, get her ass in there" he went back to the passenger seat, "we need to dump her somewhere"

He nodded as he drove, "Yea, but she can ID us"

"Well, we can off her too, and dump her" he wiped his nose with his sleeve, beginning to feel his body crave it again, "I need a hit man, I'm getting jumpy"

He sighed, "Alright, let's head to Nevada, I got a buddy who can hook us up and we can drop off the old lady" he explained, "then back to Canada"

PRESENT TIME

Adam felt weird in their house, he knew he needed to do something to help Kim, he went into his father in law's office and found the laptop. Kim had refused to touch their personal items, but he knew they needed to try this.

"Mouse my good man!" Adam said as he found him huddled at the desk, "you got a minute?"

"What do you want now, Ruzek?" He asked, locking the phones back up in the cabinet.

Adam set the laptop on the counter, "this is my father in law's, can you get in it?"

Mouse laughed, "Can I get in it? Of course I can" he lifted the lid, "does Kim know you brought this here?"

"No" he shook his head, "but I need to give it a shot, you know?"

Mouse started typing, "I know, it's really sad what happened to them" he waited as the program installed, he smiled "and I'm in"

"Already?"

"Yea" he looked over the icons, "you know he's got a travel log installed"

"What's that?"

"You're really aren't computer savvy, are you?" Mouse shook his head, "it's a program that keeps a detailed log of the trip" he explained, "linked to the vehicle's GPS"

Adam couldn't believe it, "Are you fucking kidding me? Damn it!" Adam slammed his hand on the counter.

"Why are you pissed? This is good"

"Mouse it's been 8 months, man, 8 fucking months and we had the information all along"

Mouse printed it off, "Don't beat yourself up about it, you had no idea"

He handed the papers to Adam.

Adam scanned the printout, "what the hell?"

"What?"

"It lists Nevada as a location, they had no plans to travel there" Adam sat down, "we have their itinerary at the house, Mouse they didn't plan on Nevada"

"What are you going to do?"

"Talk to Hank" Adam took off for Voight's office, "thanks Mouse!" He shouted over his shoulder as he ran.

"Hey, where's the fire pretty boy?" Trudy yelled as he nearly knocked her down.

Adam stopped, "I think we may have caught a break in my in laws case" he waved the papers, "I need to talk to Voight"

Hank read the paper, "Alright, let's contact them" he told Adam, "I'm not gonna tell you how to handle this, but I think you should keep it from Kim" he said, "no sense getting her hopes up"

"I know" he shifted in the chair, "I already decided I wasn't going to mention it, at least not yet"

Leanne felt for the woman who had become more than just a patient, "how are doing today, any more memories?"

She stirred her cup of tea, "None, just of them beating my husband" his name still escaping her, "it was clear as day, I could see his face in my mind's eye and I heard his screams"

"Who did it?"

"I don't know, they're young and they had a girl with them" she set the spoon on the saucer, "I know I have a grandson, which means I have a son or daughter and they must think I'm dead too"

"Daddy?" Nicky yelled as he raced to the couch, quickly climbing up on it and looking out the window, clapping when he saw Adam coming up the walkway, "daddy home!"

"Yes he is little one" she lifted him from the couch, "let's go see him"

He came inside and "Hey Nicky!" He took him from Kim, "how are you?"

"I'm good, I was starting to worry about you" she told him, "it's pretty late"

"Yea, I got tied up at work" he told her, "we caught a heater, I've gotta go back in a little bit"

Kim was disappointed, "Really?"

He felt terrible lying to her but he didn't want her to get her hopes up, "yea, I'm sorry"

It was well after midnight when he finally hard returned home, he watched as she slept, "I'm going to find out what happened to them" he whispered as he kissed her forehead and drifted off to sleep.